MSO Twixt provisional schedule, what do you think? TWIXT PP

7 replies. Last post: 2021-06-21

Reply to this topic Return to forum

MSO Twixt provisional schedule, what do you think?
  • David J Bush ★ at 2021-06-18

The MSO will be online and free in 2021, as it was in 2020. That's great for me and many others. The Twixt tournament is tentatively scheduled for Friday 27 August starting at 7:30 p.m.  BST which is GMT+1. See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pQXPB22KOnK0srAHgnwhzJ31XDEHaQm7TTvQK5QGajw/edit#gid=0

Unfortunately for our new Japanese players, that is 3:30 a.m. on 28 August Tokyo time. The most likely alternative would be an afternoon slot of 3:30 p.m. BST which would be 11:30 p.m. Tokyo time.

On the other hand, that same afternoon slot would correspond to 8:30 a.m. in California, unless I miscalculated something.

This will doubtless be on Boardspace, which uses a Java Client. The administrator there, Dave Dyer, of course has final say on how many rounds will be held and what the time control will be. Last year it was 15 minutes “sudden death” but the timer there has undergone improvements and I hope an increment per move will be part of the time control this year.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks about this schedule and whether you would prefer one time slot over the other. Another factor is the schedule for the Hex 11 and Hex14 tournaments. The admins do not want any conflict between Twixt and Hex.

• passenger at 2021-06-18

I'm in Europe so works perfectly for me. But to chase my hopeless dream about the gold medal, I can be flexible:)

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-06-20

I posted a Google Translate Japanese document to introduce Boardspace to Japanese players.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/224135/how-play-twixt-boardspace-japanese-players

If you notice any glaring errors in Japanese, please let me know

• ypaul21 at 2021-06-21

As you may have expected, the phrasing can be slightly awkward at times, but I think it gets the idea across. My Japanese isn’t perfect, but if the source document can be found anywhere, I can try to do a bit of proofreading this weekend if you’d like.

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-06-21

ypaul21, thank you for the offer! I sent you a message.

I should add that Etan Ilfeld at the MSO agreed with me. The Hex11 and Twixt tourneys, both on the 27th of August, have swapped time slots. Twixt now starts at 3:30 p.m. London time, 11:30 p.m. Tokyo time, 10:30 a.m. in New York, and 7:30 a.m. in California.

• kspttw at 2021-06-21

They are not on the same day - at this moment hex is on 28th.

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-06-21

Thank you, you are correct they are not on the same day. I see Hex11 on the evening slot for Friday the 27th.

Twixt is in the afternoon slot for Saturday the 28th.

Hex14 is in the afternoon slot for 4 September.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic