Help with analysis TWIXT PP

7 replies. Last post: 2019-03-31

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Help with analysis
  • Galdian at 2019-03-25

Hi everyone,

sometimes I really hate this game ;)

http://twixt-commentator.duckdns.org/game/2061442

I feel, that after move 27 I had a won position, but terribly lost. My two questions:

1) Am I right, that I should win after move 27? (if not, what was the mistakes I made earlier?)

2) What exactly went wrong after move 27?

• David J Bush ★ at 2019-03-26

Alan and I have posted analysis. We both agree you are right, you were winning.

• Galdian at 2019-03-26

Thank you both for the detailed analysis, it's very helpful! :)

• Florian Jamain at 2019-03-27

What I just wanna say is that after move 27, you should not consider that you are in a winning position. You seem good cause of your black triangle on the bottom, you can use it to join the right side for sure but… If you cannot compute a win at this point, maybe you are in a losing position. It's calculation now, too late for strategic point so… You need to compute something or it's lost.

When I see this position, my thought is, black seems okay but I don't know, I need to study this to check if he can join the right side or not.

• Galdian at 2019-03-27

Thanks, of course as long, as one can't prove, that it is a winning position, it is only a matter of “feeling”. The case is, that I have this winning feeling quite often in TwixTPP and still losing many such games, which leads to two possible solutions:

1) my feeling is wrong - so I've played badly up to this point (I'm bad at the opening phase);

2) my feeling is right - so I've played badly after this point (I'm bad at the ending phase).

Of course there is another explanation, that I am bad at each phase of the game ;)

It's quite important for me to understand, at which part of the game I am (more or less) good, and at which part I am bad.

• Florian Jamain at 2019-03-27

I guess a “feeling” is a feeling, no more.

It's quite normal to imagine that black is probably winning after move 27 but I'm really not sure about that, I need to compute it.

Don't imagine that you are effectively winning, you did not compute the win so just say to yourself I'm winning at 65%.

Sometimes in TwixT I'm saying the contrary to myself, I'm clearly losing this, that's over, but I'm still trying to fond something and it happens many times that I arrive to: Oh god, what about this move, it's just saving all the position no?

• David J Bush ★ at 2019-03-31

Yes, very much the same thing happens with me. Twixt can be a brutally honest mirror for us to examine our flaws. But at least we have a clear way to use that mirror, by examining the moves to see where we went wrong. WHY we went wrong might not be so easy to discover, but we have a starting point. And this also holds the promise that we can continue to improve. The game never becomes completely opaque, at least not for me.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic