2700 Elo Maciej Celuch TWIXT PP

6 replies. Last post: 2018-07-07

Reply to this topic Return to forum

2700 Elo Maciej Celuch
  • David J Bush ★ at 2018-06-14

Congratulations to Maciej on his achievement!

Is this the highest Elo ever on LG?

• Maurizio De Leo at 2018-06-14

If you convert Go rankings to Ratings the top player is above 2700

• Maciej Celuch at 2018-06-14

Thank you.

• DrJochum at 2018-06-28

Congratulations Maciej! That is amazing!

May I ask some questions:

Why do you think you are performing much better that all other players?

Is it better concentration? Less mistakes?

Better understanding of the opening? Better feeling for the right “distance”?

I would like to know what you think which part of the game you are doing better than the rest!

• Loony at 2018-06-28

Nah, he plays all parts of the game perfectly.

But I'd like to know too. ^^

• Maciej Celuch at 2018-07-07

That's hard questions. Every time I start the game against top players I think the chance for winning is fifty-fifty.

Openings:

In hex we already know some patterns - a set of moves which are very strong in the initial phase of the game. In twixt though, the set is much more fuzzy. It contains much more elements ( moves ) and we are not convinced that the particular move is very strong at all. Of course we can distinguish a bad move from good one. The move very close to our edge is always bad.

For example, suppose that Red player have started the game with 1.D3. Then more or less the set of good responses would be inside the blue area of picture below. But still hard to compare responses one with another or give a reason which response is better and why.

So the very first moves I play mostly by intuition. That means I can't have better understanding of the openings.

Luck / opponent's mistake:

Yeah, I'm very lucky. Lately there was at least 2 games:– 1934320, at this moment it was black's win. Move 26.q17 was crucial mistake and thanks to that I have won;– 1928083, at this moment the game was still open. Move 18.f14 gave me the advantage;where I was forced (by my own mistakes) to count on opponent's mistake.

Right “distance”/ synergy of pegs:

Twixt can be very quick even though the board-size is 24x24. One big mistake, and someone can resign at 8th move. So every single move should be “studied” before acceptation.By “studied” I mean:1) Look at the whole board.2) Find a small (2x2), (2x3), (3x3) area on the board where you think the peg is needed.3) Find a place in that area where the peg has the biggest impact.

That's more or less what I do in every single move.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic