Just a question Hex, Havannah

10 replies. Last post: 2021-07-12

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Just a question
  • Marcin Pindral at 2021-07-09

This may sound arrogant, but please explain to me what is the point of prolonging a losing game (in my case, hex/conhex)? Many players upon realizing a loss either extend their move to the maximum limit or later make pointless moves that only prolong the game, wasting both players' time. This makes no sense. If you lose, you lose. It's just a game. What is the problem? I can't figure it out.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2021-07-09

Marcin, why not play in the end? The opponent can always make an error anyway.

• Marcin Pindral at 2021-07-10

The way I look at it, if you're playing against a player with a high ranking, there's no room for error on his end. You give up the game at the moment someone has effectively beaten you and you don't count on a mistake.

• spartacu5 ★ at 2021-07-10

Maybe they didn't realize the loss…

• Florian Jamain ★ at 2021-07-10

Then just finish the game playing fast…

If I was in charge, I would just remove the possibility of resign so that this question could be ended forever.

• Martyn Hamer at 2021-07-10

It's entirely up to the opponent if and when they want to resign. Just be happy that you have some games with very little thinking required :)

• Arek Kulczycki at 2021-07-10

I think indeed there are players who will play as long as possible just in hope that they can get an undeserved victory in some awkward way… And it's they right which we cannot take from them.

Unless we elect referees who have power to end games before their end ;)

But seriously Marcin, just don't start games with people who you suspect might do it.

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-07-11

“The way I look at it, if you’re playing against a player with a high ranking, there’s no room for error on his end.”

IMO that is ridiculous.

• Marcin Pindral at 2021-07-12

Ok, thanks, I was asking cause I wanted to know, what's your view on that topic. Everybody has the right here to do what he wants and everybody has the right to his own opinion. I can agree or disagree with some behaviours, but I will leave it for myself. Thanks for all answers, much appreciated :)

• HappyHippo ★ at 2021-07-12

I typically resign when it's clear to me that I've lost, and when it's clear to me that my opponent knows that they've won. I think it is a courtesy to my opponent to not continue when we both know what will happen. If my opponent's winning tactic is particularly interesting I'll allow it to play out, since I appreciate a good tactical flourish, and I'm sure players enjoy seeing their plans come to fruition as I do. But I never drag a game out to the bitter end, and I haven't encounter many players that do (excepting the occasional novice, which I don't mind). I guess to sum it up my philosophy would be to resign when there is nothing interesting left to happen in the game.

On the other hand, some players resign too early in my opinion. I've had opponents resign won positions, or resign before the position was clear to me. Better to resign a few moves too late than too early.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic