Hex diagram editor Hex, Havannah

11 replies. Last post: 2021-03-25

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Hex diagram editor
  • HappyHippo ★ at 2021-01-16

I've made a very basic Hex diagram editor here

The interface isn't exactly user friendly, but I thought it could be useful for anyone who wants to write about Hex but lacks a way to draw diagrams easily.

You can save/load your work with “Save” and “Open file”. When the diagram is finished, you can export it as an SVG to use in webpages or other documents.

I'll probably add features slowly over time. Let me know what you think.

• spartacu5 ★ at 2021-01-21

I am so happy that you have made this! Thank you so much

Would it be possible to generalize this so that I can make diagrams on hex-hex boards as well?

• HappyHippo ★ at 2021-01-21

I'll look into that

You can make a hexhex board right now by selecting an odd board size, turning off the edges and coordinates, and removing the hexes from the acute corners. You could then save that blank board as a starting point. You won't be able to have coordinates along the edges though.

• eobllor at 2021-01-22

Very nice!

Maybe a bug though: the upper limit of each edge is undefined by default (meaning, I guess, it goes up to the maximal value, whatever the size of the board), but once you choose a value you cannot unset it; moreover, the maximal available value is only 16, even if the board is larger.

• HappyHippo ★ at 2021-01-22

Good catch

That should be fixed now hopefully. I've also changed a few things to be click+drag (adding/removing hexes, or clearing hexes) to make editing easier.

• spartacu5 ★ at 2021-02-02

Hi Matthew,

Now the Tumbleweed community is using your hex diagram editor a lot to make diagrams. We think it is great.

I have one request.

We have a lot of positions with a lot of repetitive numbers, and some of us were wondering if it would be possible to have a mode where you just select a numbered stone once, and then every time you click it places the same thing down? Instead of automatically increasing and switching , etc.

Many thanks!

• HappyHippo ★ at 2021-02-02

Ok I added a checkbox “Auto increment”

Uncheck it and the numbers will stop incrementing. You may need to clear the cache if you loaded the website recently.

How are you representing the neutral stack?

• HappyHippo ★ at 2021-02-02

I've also added numbers as labels. You can also place labels in empty hexes as well (as long as it's within the board area). Between those, you should be able to draw hex-hex boards with coordinates by placing labels around the edge.

• spartacu5 ★ at 2021-02-04

thanks! we have just been using it for tsumego so far. thanks so much Matt!

• T0afer at 2021-03-24

This thing is really great. I've already used it to great effect.

• HappyHippo ★ at 2021-03-25

That's great to hear!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic