new tool for reviewing LG hex games (alternative to trmph) Hex, Havannah

33 replies. Last post: 30 hours ago

Reply to this topic Return to forum

new tool for reviewing LG hex games (alternative to trmph)
  • Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-01

I have set up a web page for reviewing and analyzing Hex games played on LG.  It lets you play variations and maintains a tree like jhex does.  It’s roughly the same code I presented a demo of a while back, but this time with the ability to grab games by number from LG.

https://minortriad.com/ahex.html

• lazyplayer at 2020-09-01

Tom, great tool, the analysis is lost when we close the browser?

• Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-01

It’s a work in progress.  I am still working on code to save analysis but for now it’s lost when you close the browser.

• lazyplayer at 2020-09-02

Yes maybe saving it in a cookie or something? This way it would remain purely client-side. I’ve asked Richard to change the link from trmph to your page because as it is now it’s already better than trmph!

If possible then you should consider donating to littlegolem.net, perhaps in exchange of a lifetime membership... :)

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2020-09-02

It is now implemented on click. Thanks !!

Richard, thank you, please don’t forget hex19.

Tom, I’m using it for a game right now and it’s extremely pleasant to use! Simple and effective!

• HappyHippo at 2020-09-02

Excellent work Tom!

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-09-02

Thank you Tom and Richard! :)

• gi0cam at 2020-09-02

Thanks!

• Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-02

Thanks to all for the kind words, and thanks very much to Richard for setting up the link.  I’ll let you know when I have more features ready (e.g., saving analysis).

• brzy at 2020-09-02

Thank you Tom Ace.

Are you planning to develop the feature of analyzing and reviewing Havannah games?

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2020-09-07

Thanks Tom, you’re the best !

• Boguslaw at 2020-09-08

Thank you.

• apetresc ★ at 2020-09-09

Wonderful tool – thank you! :)

Now any chance you can also implement trmph’s Havannah support too? 😁

• Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-11

The next version will support load/store and a few other additional features.  I’m still working on it and I’ll release it as soon as it’s ready and tested.

Yes I plan to support Havannah at some point but other improvements will come first.

Thanks to all for the kind words of support!

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-09-12

@Tom, your tool is awesome and it’s so awesome that I’m worried it will solve 13x13 for good when we start sharing all the analysis... I don’t know if it’s good or a bad thing, but I’m getting sentimental :)

• add3993 ★ at 2020-09-13

Building on Arek’s comment, ambitious feature request: ability to use it with engines, i.e. to send moves to an external, offline bot software and receive moves for display, along with comments.  If you provide a suitable interface, we may get easily-usable superhuman bots more quickly.  Which would be stupendous.

• lguser at 2020-09-14

yes, add’s suggestion is something that will revolutionize hex gameplay like nothing else can

• HappyHippo at 2020-09-15

While that would be a nice feature for a hex viewer, I don’t believe it should be integrated into the “official” linked analysis viewer. LG having the analysis link right by the game implies that it’s ok to use that software when selecting your move. We wouldn’t want to imply that it’s acceptable to use computer analysis in deciding your move.

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2020-09-18

Tom, when do you think that load/store feature will be available?  I would really like to be able to preserve my analysis.

Thanks again for an awesome tool!

• Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-19

Load/store will be available within a week.  I wanted to deliver it sooner but I ended up reworking the code a bit in getting it to support transposition, and in providing a means to merge trees.

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2020-09-20

Great!

Yes, the program the program seems to have a problem when it tries to handle  a transposition.

• Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-24

A new version is available, accessible from the links on Hex games here on LG (thanks again, Richard!) or directly at https://minortriad.com/ahex.html

Today’s release has bug fixes, it handles transposition, and it reads/writes files.  For details, please read the documentation available via the help button in the drop-down menu.

Thanks to everyone.  I appreciate all the feedback I’ve gotten.  I plan to add more features with time, including support for more board sizes.  If a suggestion you made isn’t in this release, be assured that I do still have it in mind.  I’m trying to make the most urgent changes first.

I’m happy to answer questions.  If bugs show up, I definitely want to fix them.  Please let me know if you see any problems. 

• HappyHippo at 2020-09-25

Hi Tom,

Great work! Handling the transpositions is a cool feature.

Is there a link to start with a blank board? https://minortriad.com/hexa.html seems to be the “old” site.

• Tom Ace ★ at 2020-09-25

Thanks HappyHippo.  Yeah I moved filenames around but from now on they should be stable.  For a blank board, https://minortriad.com/ahex.html

• Boguslaw at 2020-09-25

Thank you, Tom, it is really great and very helpful !

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-09-25

Oh, you can remove the last stone by clicking on it again, I love it :)

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2020-09-25

Tom, fabulous work!

Tom, on Write could you set an option for Replace file vs. Duplicate file...

Great program!

• Tom Ace ★ at 34 hours ago

Bill, I don’t know of a way to replace files on write. A  JavaScript program running in a browser doesn’t have direct access to the computer’s file system.   The only way I know of for the program to write a file is to pass it to the browser as a download and at that point it’s out of my hands.  Browsers typically don’t overwrite files but instead save with a version number appended to the filename and I don’t know of a way to change that behavior.

If any JavaScript programmers here are aware of another option, please let me know.

• HappyHippo at 30 hours ago

Nah, that’s basically it AFAIK. Letting a website have access to the user’s files would be a security issue, to put it mildly.

• HappyHippo at 30 hours ago

The only other thing to do would be to turn your code into an Electron app, but I prefer the convenience of a website.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]