Webcams for medals from the MSO Hex, Havannah

10 replies. Last post: 2020-08-22

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Webcams for medals from the MSO
  • David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-21

If you want to be eligible for a medal from the MSO for placing in the top three in either the 11x11 or 14x14 tournament, you are required to check a box that says you will give MSO access to your webcam for some sort of live stream they might hold for some of their events. If you don’t have a webcam, maybe you could contact the MSO about it. My machine is 10 years old and does not seem to work with a webcam. So Etan Ilfeld gave me a waiver. Just a heads up!

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-21

11x11 tourney

14x14 tourney

• Tasmanian Devil at 2020-07-21

Great, then a fourth place in any given game is not so bad, since I don’t have a webcam either. 

• Force majeure at 2020-07-23

David, I assume that use of tools such as trmph is forbidden during MSO? I thought this is the case, but wanted to make sure after today’s forum topic.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-23

Besides checking a box allowing them access to your image, there is another box you must check which says

"I agree to abide by the MSO code of conduct (https://msoworld.com/code-of-conduct-and-anti-harassment-policy). I agree not to cheat and understand that various anti-cheating detection methods will be used by MSO. I agree to turn on webcam if requested to do so by the arbiter. This may be used to confirm identity, check for potentially cheating, or stream with commentary for the top tables. (Note that we do not plan to broadcast images for lower tables nor will all top tables be recorded/broadcast, but we will definitely publish a full list of names with results for all events). I agree to have my data shared with the organizer’s partners in order to facilitate the running of each tournament. *"

Board Game Arena is also proactive about stopping cheaters. I doubt very much either organization would permit use of trmph or anything similar.

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-07-25

Hmm, any visual analysis (like trmph) is prohibited?

We should make an agreement on that and I will gladly follow the rules, however it would never come to my mind to have that prohibited.

• Force majeure at 2020-07-25

For me it would be strange, something like playing a game over a board, and then having other board for your own, to make sure you make your calculations right. In my opinion reading variants is important skill that is part of the game. As on littlegolem it is not prohibited I’m fine, but this is the reason of my question – I’m not sure what is MSO’s approach.

• tangram at 2020-08-21

I have played the Hex MSO tournament yesterday. Nobody asked me to put a camera on. Maybe only the experts?! I had a modest 40% score.

• Maurizio De Leo ★ at 2020-08-22

It is just a provision. Doesn’t mean they will do it, but they request your permission to do it in case of doubts.

• kspttw at 2020-08-22

camera is used only for interviews.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]