Let's play in the Ludoteka tourneys! Hex, Havannah

12 replies. Last post: 2020-04-16

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Let's play in the Ludoteka tourneys!
  • David J Bush ★ at 2020-04-15

Each Wednesday there is a real time Hex tournament onthe Spanish server http://www.ludoteka.com/ at 2100 hours their time, which is 1500 in New York.

You would need to register there for free, and download the client app which requires an older version of Java which they also provide a link to.

There is also a similar Havannah tournament each Friday at 2300 local time. The time control for both is 1 minute for each player with 7 seconds increment per move. You are not out of the tournament until you lose all your “lives.”

At the moment I post this, The Hex tourney is just 2 hours away, but if you miss it there's always next week.

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-04-15

But the main question - are there local participants already?

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-04-15

It's not obvious to find: https://beta.ludoteka.com/download/ludoteka_1.6.jar

and it works under my current java which is 1.8.0_201

There are usually a few, but the field for Hex is probably not very strong. Havannah is a different story.

Arek, have you tested it out by playing in the play zone? I will go there in a few minutes. If the Java is too new, you may discover you cannot make a move.

• Force majeure at 2020-04-15

What do you mean by havannah is a different story? Strong field, or no participants?

I am not that great at Havannah and I got crushed by at least two players there. They use a different rating system which is difficult to compare to here, but some of the ratings were over 3000.

• Tom Ace at 2020-04-15

I downloaded ludoteka_1.6.jar but don't know how to proceed.  Any hints?

Trying to start it by command line invocation (java ludoteka_1.6.jar) says there's no main class.

The Ludoteka site provides a link to a version of Java that works with the Ludoteka client.

https://www.java.com/es/download/

For me, running Linux, this jre file was jre-8u241-linux-x64.tar.gz

You do not need to install this. Just unpack it into whatever folder you want.

Here is what my command lilne looks like to invoke the Ludoteka client. You need to use the complete path names to the jre you will use and to the Ludoteka jar file.

/home/david/games/Ludoteka/jre1.8.0_241/bin/java -jar /home/david/games/Ludoteka/ludoteka_1.6.jar

I'm not sure what differences there are for Windows or Mac OS.

• Carroll at 2020-04-15

Once you have created an account on the site (possible to change language).

On Windows, in a “command”, go to the folder where you saved the jar file (cd Download)

then :

java -jar ludoteka_1.6.jar

works for me, enjoy !

• Tom Ace at 2020-04-15

Thanks David and Carroll.  The app starts now.

I'm using Linux.  The problem wasn't the java version but rather that I wasn't saying -jar .

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-04-16

I would just like to mention that if at least two strong LG players were to attend on some Wednesday, at least they would challenge each other.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic