Championship 44 Hex, Havannah

31 replies. Last post: 2019-09-19

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Championship 44
  • Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-02-28

An amazing championship with two bots tieing with Daniel for first and Lazy and Shalev apparently missing the cut… Kudos to Simple if you make the cut :)

• apetresc at 2019-03-01

Link for the lazy: https://littlegolem.net/jsp/tournament/tournament.jsp?trnid=hex.ch.44.1.1

• Force majeure at 2019-03-01

Leela's rating and its constant progress is overwhelming…to be honest I don't see a point of leela's participation in championship any more :(

• lazyplayer ★ at 2019-03-01

Force, actually leela had lost the game with daniel here, but daniel didn't calculate well at the end. I think leela should continue playing. :)

Overall I think the bots are very consistent. They are rather good in every position. For us humans instead it depends a lot on luck. In some positions we know what we've to do and in some others we don't. Also in some cases we happen to have the will power and in other cases we do not. I think simpldeep played very well vs me. Arek also played well. I didn't play well at all..

Well, maybe I did play well vs shalev, but that's just one game out of 8.

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-03-01

In every game where the Bot goes first we are starting with a theoretically won position, so all we have to do is avoid making mistakes !

Bill, yeah, even if only just of sheer luck, someone will manage to win. We only have to get rigtht a few initial stones. ;)

• HappyHippo at 2019-03-02

The bots are great learning tools. Two things I've noticed is that they tend to prefer the fourth row over the fifth along the short diagonal (during the early game), and that they like combining b5 with the c2 opening (or the equivalent).

Has anyone noticed any other insights from the bots?

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-03-02

Hard to differentiate an insight from a whim :-)

• shalev at 2019-03-03

I've spent a lot less time on hex since my son was born, which happened pretty early in the tournament. So for most games I only played properly for the first few turns, then played mostly by instinct. The main exception was my game with leela, where I think I was completely lost even before I stopped having time…

Hopefully by the next time I'm in table 1 of the championship I'll be able to give my games the attention they deserve. I've learned that I'm solidly crushed by all top players if I play by instinct (I think people like Daniel manage to play good hex just from their phones, but I'm not able to do that).

Btw, simpledeep is a very good player now, this is not the first time he beat me.

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-03-03

Shalev you lucked out that  JKB didn't play 21.g9  in game 2033225 !

Congratulations on having a son :)

My son is getting married August 10th :)

I mean 19.g9 :)

Shalev in your game 2033222 it looks like your 9.L4 was way out of the way and yes Simpledeep immediately jumped on it !

• mortenand at 2019-04-19

The championship is finished. Why isn't the next championships started?

• mortenand at 2019-04-19

Sorry. My bad. There's a couple of games left.

Looking forward to the next tournament.

• Arek Kulczycki at 2019-08-16

Whoooaaaa, actually the best game played this tournament seems to be still going!!!

https://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2096344

Nice, I didnt expect that guys but this is real nice. I see leelas influences obviously, but still :)

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-08-16

Arek, it looks like Force would have forced  you nicely by playing 31. J5 followed by h7 :)

• Force majeure at 2019-08-17

Arek, why is it the best game played (of course, without discussing specific issues, because it's still going)?

Bill, recently I'm more like Force Minor, don't know why few strong players somehow appreciate my game lately :)

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-08-17

Force,the best part is still to come, there are many variations :)

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-08-17

And the board is almost exactly balanced 50/50 (but not quite) :)

• lazyplayer ★ at 2019-08-17

Bill, come into play, what are you doing! The worst it can happen is that you lose! :D

• lazyplayer ★ at 2019-08-17

Bill, and if you lose, someone else will win, and aggregate happiness is the same! ;)

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-08-18

I have been very busy with work and family… but your offer is tempting :)

• Force majeure at 2019-09-17

Could you please share your insights regarding my gamę with simpledeep now? :)

• lazyplayer ★ at 2019-09-17

Force, this one here: https://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2097286&nmove=8 ?

B12 looks very out of place, for the rest, who knows.

• Force majeure at 2019-09-18

Havent you talked about championship game?

• Arek Kulczycki at 2019-09-18

So far I've only rushed through it scanning for blunders. First that I would call so is 13.l4

but I'm not saying that it lost the game. The opening might be already white but I don't know these days, bots messed with my head :)

• HappyHippo at 2019-09-18

I think Force is referring to 2096344 (discussed earlier in the thread), not 2097286

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2019-09-19

Force, congrats on your well played game with Simple :)

If Simple had played 53.e4 hopefully you would have replied g2 :)

• Force majeure at 2019-09-19

Thanks Bill. I don't remember all the variants, but I think I would play g2 :)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic