Word list change? A plea to Richard Word games

8 replies. Last post: 2016-04-07

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Word list change? A plea to Richard
  • vector at 2016-01-27

Hi Richard, I would like to know if you have replaced the word list used in the word games.

In this match I have a number of alternatives for long words to start with, and each of them would end with an 'S' in the upper left corner. These are the plural forms of these long words, but the system says that they are “not valid English words” – even though their singular forms are valid.

This is not only strange (singular form is good, plural form is not), but it also costs me half of the points I otherwise have expected.

In order to avoid such unpleasant surprises, could you please add a script that allows for checking the validity of words in the bidding phase?

(I also miss the 'Notes' section where I could write down possible scenarios and did not have to recalculate the upcoming moves every time.)

• gamesorry ★ at 2016-01-27

I've encountered the problem as well in one of my gwg games, possibly due to a change in word list.

• vector at 2016-01-28

The problem might be that the system does not allow words longer than 10 letters. But have you encountered this issue before? And if yes, when was this rule implemented?

Is it the same for GWG, WYPS and OSKI?

• gamesorry ★ at 2016-01-28

The original word contains 11 letters, but in the gwg game 5 of the letters are replaced by a '*' so it's a 7-letter word. I only encountered the problem recently, and I'm not sure if such rule exists (in any of the word games) actually. Maybe Richard could shed some light on it?

• vector at 2016-01-28

Yep, this is exactly the case I have experienced. So once we can talk to Richard, let each other know about the new rule, if this is the case.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2016-02-05

There was a wrong wordlist from page http://www.scrabble.org.nz/Resources/Software/software.html . This wordlist has only 197888 words.

I found probably correct wordlist and there is now 276 663 words from CSW15 wordlist.

• bloke at 2016-03-25

This is important information – could you perhaps add this to the Rules pages of GWG, OSKI and WYPS? The WYPS page still indicates that SOWPODS is the worldlist supported at LittleGolem.Thanks, in advance!

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-04-07

Hi, I'm not quite sure if I've misunderstood the middle piece's function, but I'm unable to make the word “unable” on the board, despite having the sufficient letters by using the middle piece and L on board. The word surely is in both SOWPODS and CSW15…

The game in question is this: http://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1774258&move=PUbc,PNcc,Rdc,Ndd,Nde,PEee,PS

Return to forum

Reply to this topic