irregular plurals? Game of Empathy

10 replies. Last post: 2021-04-30

Reply to this topic Return to forum

irregular plurals?
  • ka300 ★ at 2018-12-05

leaf/leaves in the last one

child/children - in the current

are they not scored together? what's the practice?

• Sighris at 2019-01-30

On the Dec 28th (2018) game: http://littlegolem.net/jsp/egame/egame_detail.jsp?egameid=1562 there were 7 people who wrote “teepee” and there were 2 people who wrote “tepee ” (another legitimate spelling).  There were also 8 people who wrote “tent” (a less specific term for teepee or tipi )     …    Less arguably, there were also 8 people who wrote “people” and 6 who wrote “men” (men are people, yes?)…. And while I'm on a roll/rant there were 5 who wrote “Indian” and I'm wondering what made 5 people think the people casting the shadows on the Native American tent/tipi were Indian and not Indigenous / Native Americans???

Lastly, two people wrote “five” when there is one tipi with at least 10 poles and at least 6 shadows of people in the tent!  How can I have empathy with you people if you can't count and you don't know which cultures used conical tents?  … I mean Norwegian or Swedish I could understand, but “Indian”?!?!

I'm kidding!!!!

- I totally saw that there were 6 stars of the big dipper in the photo!  ;-)

• Sighris at 2019-01-30

p.s. I'm kidding….. I totally saw that in addition to the 6 people casting shadows there were also 5 ninjas hiding in the tipi!     (but it is best to never mention that - they don't like it when you give out their numbers) :D

• ypercube at 2019-01-30

The term indigenous has only recently been made popular (and not so popular really).

Have you ever heard of “cowboys and Indigenous people”?

I've heard of “cowboys and Indians”.

• KPT at 2019-01-30

its part of the game.Being able to predict which term is the correct by examining the population of the game.

• jytou ★ at 2021-04-22

Actually… plurals… at all? In the last game, I wrote “book” since plural and singular are supposed to be counted the same. But apparently they are not. My “book” was not integrated in the bulk of “books”, making me lose 25 points. :P Lesson learned. When it's plural, it's plural.

• Pinobambu at 2021-04-30

In that game there were 25 players and the word “books” scored 25 points. Are you sure it didn't count for you?

• ypercube at 2021-04-30

What Pinobambu says. The entry was most likely counted for you even though it does not show are selected by you in the main page.

@jytou can you check the Past Games page?

It should show book(25) if it counted.

• ypercube at 2021-04-30

I meant books(25)

This is what I see for example:

books (25), pink (22), white (20), pile (7), table (7), marble (2)

• jytou ★ at 2021-04-30

Oh, indeed! I do see “book (25)” (your first guess was correct => it took my word and applied the count to it), so it was indeed counted! The bug is only in the display of the different words, I'll have to remember to check the Past Games page to get the correct count. Thanks! :)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic