Opponent mocking the game? Go forum

11 replies. Last post: 2021-04-19

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Opponent mocking the game?
  • Randolph King at 2021-02-24

Does anyone have a suggestion for dealing with an opponent who isn't taking the game seriously? His strength suggests he isn't as ignorant of the strategy as his play suggests.

My first thought it to resign and not waste a lot of time on the game. But that may just push the real problem onto someone else since it would boost his rating.

Game #2218196

• Russ Williams at 2021-02-24

https://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2218196 does not seem to be a Go game.

I guess you mean https://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2218186 ?

• metzgerism at 2021-02-24

Oh wow.

I'm going to make my user logo in B&W in one of my 37x37 games.

• Randolph King at 2021-02-24

Doh. Yes it is 2218186. Sorry.

• add3993 at 2021-02-25

Their play here is consistent with play in other games.  Go ratings are (I believe) a mix of Toroidal, different sizes, etc., and wins can be gained in tournaments by matchups against players who don't even show up, so ratings may not mean what one expects.  It's also natural to expect that there are experimental bots on this site, and people not taking games seriously.  In general for a very long game like 37-size Go, it's good to look at your opponent's history first to see if you wish to play.  You can suggest the opponent is behind and should resign, and if that doesn't work, resign because it's not worth it.

• Crelo at 2021-02-26

The game is just starting. By looking at it I am not even sure black is behind, the board is so big that anything may happen. Besides there is no established opening theory on 37x37 to say what is good or what is wrong.

• BartSimpson4321 at 2021-02-26

I don't think that your opponent is trying to mock you, I agree with add. Looking at your opponent's previous go games, I noticed that almost every game that they won was won by time and had no more than 1 move. This shows that your opponent's rating is relatively good because of all the games that they won because their opponent resigned. Another example of this is my own Go rating. I am new and inexperienced in Go, but because many of my opponents have timed out I currently have a rating of 13.7k. As I still have several Go games going on I expect my rating to get much worse soon.

• KPT at 2021-02-26

now im afraid of making my opponents think that im mocking out them…when actually, i don't know what the heck i'm doing XD

• Randolph King at 2021-03-01

Thanks, maybe I was overreacting. I've not encountered this style of play and I have little idea of what I'm doing on this size of board.

I appreciate the feedback.

KPT, don't worry, it's just me. :)

• Randolph King at 2021-03-01

KPT, I'd like to add. Communicate with your opponent. The lack of communication, especially when I questioned his moves gave me the greatest cause to suspect him.

• Sighris at 2021-04-19

I agree with: Crelo ★ at 2021-02-26

The game is just starting. By looking at it I am not even sure black is behind… except PFW  (16.7k) timed out and lost…. but they seemed to me (giving them the benefit of doubt) to be going for center territory - and there is a LOT of center territory in a 37x37 game… So… IDK… but I wish the game had not timed out….

…but hey, speaking of 37x37 Go… Did you know there is a 37x37 Go Tournament AND also a 37x37 Go Championship which only has 10 registered players, AND rumor has it there needs to be 20 for it to get started???

hint hint. ;-)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic