A tsunami of championship games Go forum

12 replies. Last post: 2018-01-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

A tsunami of championship games
  • Tasmanian Devil at 2016-12-08

Brace yourselves, go players! For each of the variants standard 19x19, Hahn, Random100 and 13x13 there is only one single game still ongoing in the current championship round, and from what I can tell there are only a few moves left in each case.

• Sighris at 2016-12-27

…and will there be another “championship round,“?

Is there a (11x11) Toroidal Go “Championship” other than the infinite tournament (In which I am already competing)?

Can you give more information or web-links to info pages?

• Tasmanian Devil at 2016-12-27

No, there is currently no championship for that variation. Just navigate to the tournament page, select a game (e.g., go) and then select “Championship”. As an update, standard 19x19 and 13x13 have started, while the last few moves for the two variations are going veeery sloooow.

• Sighris at 2016-12-27

I see Gerhard Knop won the 23rd 13x13 Go Championship —> http://littlegolem.net/jsp/tournament/tournament.jsp?trnid=go13.ch.23.1.1 Finish date: 2016-12-22 10:56 Congrats!

• Tasmanian Devil at 2016-12-27

Yes, in that particular case the whole championship was finished when league 1.1 finished. In other cases, league 1.1 is finished and a winner is announced before the other leagues have finished, and then you have to dig further down in the links to explore that.

• Crelo at 2016-12-28

Well, Gerhard Knop is using multiple computer software to play. It is an interesting experiment, a human player assisted by computers is stronger than humans, and this started before the age of Alpha Go.

• Sighris at 2016-12-29

Interesting Crelo. Which software programs is he using?  I just signed up for the 13x13 tournament, I hope he will do that again and I get a chance to play against him and his software.

It would be awesome to get a chance to play a slow game against a top level AI…. or better yet, if Google would publish games of AlphaGo vs. AlphaGo…. but that is another story/thread-topic.

• Crelo at 2016-12-30

I do not know exactly what Go programs is using Gerhard currently. Several years ago I felt a sudden surge in his playing strength, so I was curious to find out his real life strength. I did a search on Google by “Gerhard Knop go player”.

You can try it yourself or you can talk to Gerhard. Here is some information I found, “Knop plays with intensive computer help (using Zen, CrazyStone and other bots)” in this paper:

https://www.conftool.net/cg2016/index.php/Alth%C3%B6fer-Computer-Aided_Go.pdf?page=downloadPaper&filename=Alth%C3%B6fer-Computer-Aided_Go.pdf&form_id=7&form_version=final

• Sighris at 2017-01-02

Interesting Crelo, thanks, I do see that in:

Computers and Games: 9th International Conference, CG 2016, Leiden, The Netherlands July 2016…

Page 152: 3.3 Strong Correspondence Go with Computer Help…

I'm going to send you ( Crelo ) a private message about this since this is not the topic of the original thread. Please look for my message.

Thanks / Happy New Year!

Sighris

• Sighris at 2017-01-05

I see Gerhard Knop also won the 37th 9x9 Go Championship… I guess “resistance is futile”. ;-)

• apetresc at 2018-01-23

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Championships work, but shouldn't the next 19x19 Championship have started by now? Knop won the last one well over 2 months ago now.

• gamesorry ★ at 2018-01-24

@ apetresc ★

According to

https://littlegolem.net/jsp/games/championship.jsp?trnid=go19.ch.14.1.1

There are two unfinished groups in the league:

League: 1 Group 1 [Gerhard Knop]

League: 2Group 1 Group 2 [Stefan Wroclawski]  League: 3Group 1 [Donor]  Group 2 [minilord]  Group 3 Group 4 [Pascal Huybers]

Return to forum

Reply to this topic