sil, why to you cheat? Einstein forum

22 replies. Last post: 2008-01-14

Reply to this topic Return to forum

sil, why to you cheat?
  • opmp at 2007-12-12

Next round in cheating… look here:

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/tournament/tournament.jsp?trnid=einstein.mc.2007.nov.1.1

Look what for silly moves jordi does:

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=791340&nmove=1

Will find this cheating a end?

• FatPhil at 2007-12-12

A great example of Jordi using the “run away, the enemy's approaching” technique.

It's not particularly good cheating, as at some points it looks like sil's not trying to win either.

How bizarre.

• KPT at 2007-12-17

somebody can explain me better :s?

Where is the cheating?

• FatPhil at 2007-12-17

There's no *known* cheating as such, it's just that some of Jordi's moves made no sense at all, as if they had agreed to play by a different version of the rules (such as no sitting on your opponent's pieces). It's possible that Jordi simply wasn't very good at the game 6 weeks ago, and has learnt a lot since then, for example.

• Greck at 2007-12-17

yes, Jordi has registered to a lot of games, so he is getting a grasp of it now.

opmp, eat your words, or give arguments. Better luck next time :P

• Greck at 2007-12-17

by the way, if you find our games are silly, post some strategic advices here…

• KPT at 2007-12-17

but i dont understand.

why playing awful is cheating?

• Jordi at 2007-12-18

Wow!

I'm so excited! One of my games (maybe the worse) is commented for strong players.

Thanks.

• Greck at 2007-12-18

well, i was being ironic… Jordi and I were replaying the game at his home yesterday and… man, we laughed out loud!!

Really awful game, but hey! who cares?

• hanfried_c at 2007-12-18

An other adwise:

After move 50 there are two obviously better moves: c3-d2 and d3-d2.

Moving the 2 is better since the 2 has probability 4/6 the 5 only 3/6.

Even moving the 5 to d2 is better giving you the chance for 53. 2-c3xd2 which makes your 2 faster.

PS: Playing awful _can_ be cheating. If a player with such a high rating as Jordi playes so poorly it looks verry strange.

If it was one of your early games you learned a lot in the meanwhile. ;-)

• opmp at 2007-12-18

Hmmmm, well it looks to me very strange, because

a) Jordi have had more than 100 game played before

b) the moves looks like: I dont want to win

c) the hole tournament have had just 4 real played games

Ok, if i missunderstood the situation, so i´m sorry.

Adwise:

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=140&topic=15

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=140&topic=11

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=140&topic=41

• Jordi at 2007-12-18

Hello again,

opmp:

a) And, most of them, random played because I didn't pay attention at the Einstein games.

b) See a)

c) I only can talk about Waskein (another account I was created for trying something and not used now)

hanfried_c:

Game #791340 is finished.

Jordi vs. sil 0:2

Jordi old rating: 1464 newrating: 1453

sil old rating: 1553 newrating: 1564

My rated wasn't too high at the date of the game.

I've talked in a private message with FatPhil about these(suicidal)moves: I'm playing always a lot of games but only since 3 weeks (more or less) I'm improving (not much) in Einstein.

As Gregorio said, yesterday we have reviewed the game and several moves was ridiculous.

Now I like this game and I want to improve my rating (last week I reached for a while more than 1700 points) and win all my games but maybe you can find in my current games suicidal or “I don't want to win” moves…

I'm not thinking in my games about cheating or awful playing. I only play for fun.

• Jordi at 2007-12-18

hanfried_c

“After move 50 there are two obviously better moves: c3-d2 and d3-d2.

Moving the 2 is better since the 2 has probability 4/6 the 5 only 3/6.

Even moving the 5 to d2 is better giving you the chance for 53. 2-c3xd2 which makes your 2 faster.”

yes! thanks!

Now is clear for me. One month ago, no.

I appreciate your comments.

• FatPhil at 2007-12-18

Ockhams razor of course points to the fact that Jordi was not involved with any cheating in that game (not any other, I'm sure), as it's clear (to at least me who's played lots of games against him recently) that Jordi is now trying to increase his rating and qualify for 2nd rounds. There's no benefit in throwing games if you're someone who wants to advance rating. We need a _motive_, you see, and there wasn't one.

My comment at the top of the thread was not supposed to be interpreted as if I thought there was cheating. Two people both actually trying to lose by cheating just doesn't make any sense at all. Unless…

Hey - who wants a game of suicide EinStein? Winner loses, simple as that.

Challenge me for a game!

• hanfried_c at 2007-12-20

@FatPhil

This is a verry lame game. Everybody moves verry slowly. Most of the time (but not every time) you won't kill your own stones but the opposits own's. But if you wan't to you can play a (unrated) game against hanfried, who chooses every time his worst move (for normal EWN).

• FatPhil at 2007-12-20

I am certainly not expecting Misère EinStein to be in any way surprising. As hanfried's not fully automated, I'll just add a Misère option to RoRoRo, and play against it. No point wasting another human's time for such a silly reason.

• opmp at 2007-12-21

So i´m sorry. Fine, that you like this game and i wish you many good and interesting games.

True is, that it was not a normal tournament. Now we know the reason. Thanks that you are open to tell us.

Just one question: You play against your secound nick. Have you get points for that game? Because Richard wrote:

“In future, games played between identical players will be not rated.”

• Jordi at 2007-12-21

Game was unrated.

Both players used the same IP address.

Merry Xmas and Happy new year with good Einstein games!

• Jordi at 2008-01-14

Do you have an explanation?

Strong players keeping the games and not plays the last move until my rating increases.

(I know the explanation but I want to make the comment.)

• FatPhil at 2008-01-14

Simple - they get more points for beating you that way. It's gaming the rating system, and implies that the 'strong' players aren't actually as strong as their rating implies.

I can't pretend I've never done this (though only to one person, IIRC, who I noticed was consistently sitting on games and not finishing them promptly, and had I not done it I'd have ended up the loser in his gaming) but I do not approve of the behaviour.

I'd like to see the ability to resign a game at any point, not just when it's your turn, added to this site so that this kind of behaviour can be prevented. I'd also like to see the number of games that a player is on turn for added to their info page, so you can see who is sitting on large numbers of games.

• Ingo Althofer at 2008-01-14

FatPhil wrote:

> I'd like to see the ability to resign a game at

> any point, not just when it's your turn, added

> to this site so that this kind of behaviour can

> be prevented.

This medal has two sides. Freedom of resignation

may also be missused in lost games: you wait for

a moment where your opponent has a high rating.

Resigning at such a point will cost you only few

points…

> I'd also like to see the number of games that

> a player is on turn for added to their info page,

> so you can see who is sitting on large numbers

> of games.

Good idea.

Ingo.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic