Computer player Breakthrough

6 replies. Last post: 2005-10-03

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Computer player
  • javerberg at 2005-10-03

Do any one know about any computer programs that play breakthrough? “The Magic Seal Puzzle Games” have breakthrough included, but it does not play well enough to provide a challenge.

• furbolero at 2005-10-03

There's the zillions code at:

http://www.zillionsofgames.com/games/breakthrough.html

I guess it plays fairly well ;-)

• furbolero at 2005-10-03

sorry, the correct url is:

http://www.zillionsofgames.com/cgi-bin/zilligames/submissions.cgi/52570?do=show;id=35

• David J Bush ★ at 2005-10-03

Breakthrough is downloadable as a package for Zillions of Games. ZoG has a free demo with dozens of abstracts you can play against the computer, but in order to play Breakthrough, or to play online against another person, you would have to purchase the registration key for $25. It plays well in the endgame, and can recognize wins 7-ply deep or perhaps deeper if you give it enough time to think.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For example, in the above position if I as Silver play the horrible h2-h3 as shown by the red arrow, then Zillions will immediately recognize it can win in three moves starting with g4-g3.

But the Zillions engine wastes time thinking about ridiculous moves, and doesn't plan ahead very well in the middlegame. I find it is particularly susceptible to edge attacks.

For what it's worth, I assure everyone that I will never use Zillions to help me in any of my ongoing games. If anyone else has Zillions, maybe we could meet on the Net and play Breakthrough in real time if you like. BTW Zillions is NOT a server. Players have to arrange to meet, for example on some chat service such as MSN messenger. Zillions integrates well with MSN messenger, making it easy to initiate an online game.

I apologize if this sounds like an advertisement, but I'm simply trying to respond to the question of this thread. I have worked as a playtester, which means I got a free upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0. I don't recommend anyone buy ZoG just to play Breatkthrough.

• Tasmanian Devil at 2005-10-03

The Zillions package has the most comprehensive strategy guide I have seen so far.

• David J Bush ★ at 2005-10-03

For those who do not have ZoG, here is what is has to say about strategy:

“Several tactical elements of the game stand out. The progress of a piece cannot be thwarted by a single defender. It will always be possible either to move entirely around the range of the defender or to move to the square immediately in front (which is immune from capture) and then `skirt` diagonally around. A proper defense requires that pieces work in tandem. Skirting is not possible, for example, when two defenders are front-to-back or side-to-side. Diagonal formations are easy to skirt through and should be used cautiously.

Basic strategy consists of occupying the center, where pieces have maximum coverage, and keeping some defenders far enough back so that they can guard multiple attack routes. As pieces progress, defensive coverage diminishes and the player becomes vulnerable to flanking maneuvers. Offensively, you want to force enemy defenders to move forward in response to threats from one direction, thereby opening up attacks from another direction. It is useful to have multiple forward pieces (`runners`) within striking distance of the far rank. Loosely speaking, a runner is a piece that has progressed across the board as far as any enemy piece has. If defensive positions collapse and the game becomes a simple race, a runner will win the game if it takes the first step.

A common formation is a column of friendly pieces. The forward piece can serve as a runner, the rear piece offers wide defensive coverage, and the entire formation cannot be skirted. A column may prove overwhelming when aimed at a depleted portion of the enemy side. Phalanxes, pieces arranged side to side, are also common and are present in the initial array. Phalanxes cannot be skirted, and if one piece moves straight ahead, it will land on a guarded square.

Pieces arranged in columns or phalanxes do not protect one another. This points to a fundamental tension in the game. Pieces protect one another only along diagonals but diagonal formations are the easiest to penetrate. In many cases, a player is better off leaving pieces unguarded.

Breakthrough is ultimately an offensive game. Defensive positions will collapse as pieces move forward (as they must), and at some point a weakness, perhaps previously unidentified, will be exploited by a runner. Because the pieces have no choice but to move forward, the game develops

quickly. Draws are impossible.”

Return to forum

Reply to this topic