Dots and Boxes Realtime? Dots and Boxes

22 replies. Last post: 2009-09-06

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Dots and Boxes Realtime?
  • pedropajarito at 2009-09-01

Where can you play realtime?

• ypercube at 2009-09-02

www.iggamecenter.com

Besides Dots-and-Boxes, there is hex, havannah, twixt, breakthrough, connect6 and a lot of other games.

• Diamante at 2009-09-02

I play in www.yahoo.es :)

• pedropajarito at 2009-09-02

Can you give us the link to play d&b at yahoo? I can't seem to find it

• wccanard at 2009-09-02

@Diamante: I've played at yahoo but don't they only offer 4x4 (too small and solved and computers can play optimally in real time) or 9x9 and above (much too big)? The other problem with yahoo is that most players are rabbits, and a few are hackers (i.e. you magically find that you just resigned for no reason).

My experience with iggamecenter.com is that people typically aren't interested in playing. Is this still the case?

@pedropajarito: why don't you organise a “meeting”? e.g. start a new thread on the dots and boxes forum here (and at any other sites you play at) saying “Let's all play dots and boxes at iggamecenter at [date and time, and specify time zone too!]“. My feeling is that this would work better than what I do, which is typically that I log in to iggamecenter, sit there with a board open and no-one challenging me, forget about the board, and then 1 hour later close it having played no games, or perhaps 1 game against a complete rabbit.

• Macbi at 2009-09-02

vying.org allows for real time play.

• wccanard at 2009-09-02

Yes but it's much harder to see who is “hanging around online, interested in a game of dots and boxes” there. One might ask—does it really allow for real time play any more than this site? I often feel I'm playing RoRoRo in “real time” here.

• pedropajarito at 2009-09-02

@wccanard: I am a complete rabit, so yahoo will be ok for me at the moment. You are right about iggamecenter, it has a problem of finding people to play with

@Macbi: vying is not realtime, you might call it accelerated turn-based, but it will stay this way in the forseeable future

• aldiris at 2009-09-02

www.bordspel.nl is another site for 5x5 (boxes) DnB, but it's dead.

I've been toying with the idea of organizing a real time tournament some time. I'd advertise it here and at jijbent.nl, so it would have to happen on www.bordspel.nl, since jijbent doesn't allow mentioning any other games sites except for their own. Would there be interest in such a tournament?

• aldiris at 2009-09-02

Oh btw, bordspel.nl also has an english translation.

• wccanard at 2009-09-02

I once met flipster at bordspel.nl and played 6 games with him; that was fun. The problem with a tournament, as far as I am concerned, would be that it's very hard for me to commit to playing games at fixed times, because I am so busy in real life. For me, it would be better if someone said “let's all meet 8pm-10pm Dutch time on Saturday” or something like that, because then if I am free then I can just pop in and hope to get some interesting games.

• aldiris at 2009-09-02

Well, the tournament I had in mind would last only a few hours. People can sign up here or at jijbent and I'd set up the tournament, in some groups or maybe a swiss system if there's enough people interested. We can keep contact through an IRC channel or something. One round would last at most 20 mins (5 minutes per person per game, two games), so we could have nine rounds in three hours.

• flipster at 2009-09-04

I'm down for some real-time play too

• Carroll at 2009-09-04

I'm interested for real-time during late evening or night GMT time.

• wccanard at 2009-09-04

I wouldn't be able to take part in a real-time tournament because I tend to only have “bursts” of 10 minutes when I can play, and then I might be away for 50 minutes putting the kids to bed or doing housework or whatever. But if someone organised some sort of “club” at bordspel or iggamecenter where there were generally people logged on for a few hours, and a tournament going on, and you wouldn't mind me coming and going, then I'd generally come and go.

• aldiris at 2009-09-05

I'm online at ig and bordspel at the moment, os if anyone wants to play a few live games… I'm also playing chess (at FICS), so it may take a few minutes for me to respond.

• flipster at 2009-09-06

Hold on wcc. If you wanna join this club, you better prepare to make some sacrifices!

• wccanard at 2009-09-06

Count me out then ;-)

• flipster at 2009-09-06

Too late. One of your kids must go.

• FatPhil at 2009-09-06

Well, I know where he works, maybe I could call in a few favours from a few old friends. Capice?

• wccanard at 2009-09-06

Jesus this thread has taken a sinister turn! Someone organise a tournament quick!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic