Setup: Hint for newbies StreetSoccer

9 replies. Last post: 2011-07-12

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Setup: Hint for newbies
  • Marius Halsor at 2011-06-27

I sometimes notice that my opponent use a strange setup when they are the first player. This occurs when the die shows 1 (or occationally 2). They then choose a setup that allows ME to choose a setup where I can score on a 6, 5 or 4 (or even 3!) on my first move. This has lead me to conclude that not all players know the following rule:

THE DIE SHOWN DURING SETUP IS THE FIRST PLAYER'S DIE FOR HIS FIRST MOVE

Yes, the first die is actually known in advance, BEFORE the setup. Remember this, especially when you get a 1 or 2. If you DO get a 1 or 2, you should take that into account, and choose a defensive setup which gives you several alternatives as to where to shoot the ball in the first move, so that your opponent doesn't know where it will be and can set up so that he'll easily score. At least put ONE of your players adjecent to the central player if you get a 1!

• Iluvatar at 2011-06-27

This applies to me.:) I've played SS for several years, and my rating is above average. This initial setup rule is so obvious. Funny that I have never seen this before.

• Steven Pedlow at 2011-06-27

This detail is what makes StreetSoccer such a great game on Little Golem as opposed to MasterMoves.eu.

• Burton at 2011-06-30

I play Soccer long time and I have never noticed this before. By me it's time to change this stupid start. I think that die must role before each move including first 3-4 moves …

• Dvd Avins at 2011-06-30

Burton, each kick gets a new die. It's just that the very first move, the die is known ahead of time.

• Burton at 2011-07-01

But why?

Or why there isn't a message during set-up to everybody knew.

I didn't know about that, so is was big disadvantage compared to others.

So there are 2 possible option:

- roll die after set-up both palyers

- during set-up show same highlighted message that this roll is valid after set-up

That's all I want to say …

• MRFvR at 2011-07-01

Since its different from regular StreetSoccer board rules, Burton has some merits. On the other hand, I'm under the impression LG's SS has many (but each one small) differences from the original board game this might be quite unpractical. Imagine if every time you've tentatively played (but not sent) a goal a message “Beware: after you've scored this goal your goalie WON'T be reset to his goal area” would pop-up!

LG's SS rules section lists most (possibly all: I don't have a board copy of the game) of these changes, although they aren't marked as claimed.

• MRFvR at 2011-07-01

*marked

• Burton at 2011-07-12

Maybe nowadays there is a sentence about first throw (die), but when I started to play on LG there wasn't (I thing - it's long time ago). Do you think that I have to read rules before starting every game !?

Now I know about this, so I hope that next change in rules will be notice significantly …

Return to forum

Reply to this topic