Speed League? StreetSoccer

14 replies. Last post: 2003-12-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Speed League?
  • Kevin Whitmore at 2003-11-02

I am very much enjoying StreetSoccer. I especially enjoy it when my opponents respond quickly, allowing the game to finish in just a few days.

Would anyone like to see a “Speed League” where turns are expected to be returned more promptly? Currently, with 36 hours added per move, and a starting quota of 240 hours, some games take over a month to complete.

Slower games have their merits, but I would happily participate in a fast venue, if it were offered.

Kevin Whitmore

• laibach at 2003-11-02

Sounds interesting…

• tonywu at 2003-11-10

interested. currently league is fine, but a faster one surely suit my taste.

• dj at 2003-11-10

I doubt I will play any more regular time games, but Would happily join a speed league.

I would hope the format could limit the length of a game to 4 days, That is 13 moves a day.

Those games that have gone fast for me have been fun, those that drag on have been painful.

• Hjallti ★ at 2003-12-11

This kind of discussions and proposals I have seen on most turn-based sites I've played… (slow play is one of the most important annoyances…)

As long there are not to much different tourneys, I'm not against any tournament type.

I only want you to consider a couple of things.

1) Winning a game on time-out is not as much fun as a real win. (You want to play&win rather than just to win)

2) There are people here around the world… assume you life in CET, and play in your afternoon and evening. Suppose you get in a league with a USA player who plays at night, a early morning Russian, and an Asian. Then it might be you are the slowest mover, even if you move daily. (Suppose they all move whenever you just log out).

Technically it could even be they all finish there games within 3 days while your games linger on a month, while you have been online 16 hours a day and they only 4…

Considering the fact most people miss out 2 days a week, it is hard to find a SPEED tournament, not bringing you in trouble.

• Ronald Lokers at 2003-12-11

I would like to see the parameters change a little though. Why 36 hours added to the time pool? 24 should be enough, if you move once per day. So why not introduce speed tournaments with 24 hours per move, and a time pool of say, max. 120 hours or 180 hours instead of 240. Look at Dailygammon.com, a backgammon site. They have tournaments with different speeds to match your online behaviour. Also I like their method of timing and running out of time better.

• Hjallti ★ at 2003-12-11

I only hope that the championship stays like it is, and doesn't speed up. Your suggestion sounds fine, but might al ready be a problem for someone who has during the year a couple of weeks away for his job, and a couple of weeks of regular hollidays, or so to say for people with a regular offline game….

It happens for me from time to time I can't get on, during a day of 4 (not because I don't have internet, but just don't have time…)

• Dvd Avins at 2003-12-11

Many people in some countries have no access except at work. Suppose that's you. If they're playing an opponent who never move while you're at work, you can only make 5 moves per week (sometimes fewer). So getting 24 hours per move isn't enough.

• Ronald Lokers at 2003-12-12

So perhaps there should be different leagues: one for people who have constant access, and a slower one for people who have little access. You can choose which one you wish to join.

• Hjallti ★ at 2003-12-12

If you want to play online suggest StreetSoccer to be on online sites, I like turn based, and one of the backdraws is the waiting times, which never bother me, since I have enough games going on. A speed rating tournament or so could be created, but not a speed championship! (since that would mean 52 weeks a year, a lot of moves a week)

• FC Cwali at 2003-12-18

There are interested other games-sites where you can play games when both/all players are online.

Maybe next year. But I like to see StreetSoccer on ONE site.

What I would like in case of an other StreetSoccer-site is a site which gives it more soccer-atmosphere, like choosing your players' outfit, or qualifying for the champions-league-tournament, etc.

A good StreetSoccer-site on the site of one of the FIFA-sponsors would be nice. :-)

• Subtleblue at 2003-12-18

Very Nice, $$$$ :)

So how's your german?

• Ronald Lokers at 2003-12-19

Let's get back to the original subject: slow play is annoying us all, but if someone moves slowly, he will never time out.

What about this: you don't gain 36 hours for making a move, you don't gain anything at all, but your time pool starts counting down 36 hours after your opponent made his move instead of immediately. So the first 36 hours you don't lose anything.

That way, you can't rebuild your timepool by making a lot of moves during 2 days and then disappear for a week again, but if you move every 36 hours like a nice little boy your time pool will never go down.

• Hjallti ★ at 2003-12-23

I'm not against any speed tournament but I would like the types of tournaments we have as they are.

The time rules suit me well, and I've chosen to play tournaments here because of the fact that they not interfering with having a real life.

The suggestions are good if it is for special fast leagues but not for all tournaments.

And to end:

slow play is NOT annoying us all, it is a backdraw I like to take, since it has a lot of advantages.

By the way, even a player who plays a lot could be able to time out from 240 hours within a Soccer game while being online everyday (say 8 till 17) except weekends against a slow player online on the right times. Since a move on friday 18 hours would cost 26 hours each time while the opponent can make the game last 2 moves a week without timing out that much.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic