die preview StreetSoccer

7 replies. Last post: 2003-08-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

die preview
  • Thomas at 2003-08-21

I thought about removing or reducing the element of luck in the game.

What if the players know not only their own die-throw but also the next throw of the opponent and their own next throw, for example?

This would allow for more tactical calculation. One knows what the opponent can do next and what possible replies there are for oneself.

The possibilities are greatly reduced because one needs not to consider all possible numbers that could be thrown.

One could even pre-calculate the die-throws for the whole game and display them to both opponents.

Or one could replace the throws by numbers following a regular pattern, to completely remove the random element.

What do you think about this?

• Marius Halsor at 2003-08-21

I think this would severely change the game - and in my oppinion, ruin it. This would mean that the player with “best” die throws could always calculate a win - although it would be difficult with quite similar die throws on both sides.

The way it is now appeals to me as a statistican (I do a lot of probability calculation…). Now, you have to consider the probabilities of getting different dice. That is a very interresting puzzle to try to solve :-)

• Tore S at 2003-08-21

I agree with Marius. The charm of this game, like real soccer, is that it is partly unpredictable.

• michael at 2003-08-21

from my statistical point of view it would be fun to try play on a somewhat larger board and with 2 dice (just like backgammon). i don't really see alot of statistics, every throw with the die is an equal chance 1/6 … with 2 dice u have better chances of throwing a 7 then any other total, that is statistics to me.

knowing the next throw and throw after, would in my oppinion lead to very defensive play, and result in alot of 0-0 scores. that wouldn't be fun

• Marius Halsor at 2003-08-21

Well, the fun in the statistics is to try to maximize your chance to score, or in defence, minimize your opponents chance to score. And I don't mean in his next move, but in the entire game! Now, THAT'S a statistical challenge!

Marius

• FC Cwali at 2003-08-21

Thomas wrote: “The possibilities are greatly reduced because one needs not to consider all possible numbers that could be thrown.”

Considering possibilities (and chance calculation) is a part of the tactics in StreetSoccer. And not only one move forward. I could write a book-chapter about the considerations for a single move sometimes. And choices often turn out to be crucial many turns later. I lead in the ranking so I think it has enough tactics. ;-) (I made the game.)

During 22 years of playing this game in many different versions I learned that this version attracts me and others the most. I have other versions which are interesting as game too, but can't compete with the 'StreetSoccer-spirit' in this version.

• Thomas at 2003-08-24

Corne wrote: “Thomas wrote: …“, repeating the most stupid of my sentences, LOL

I should have left it away or explain better:

I think it might be good if the tree of possibilities (die-throws and moves) is branching less widely at the beginning, because this makes it possible to calculate the variations more deeply. The tree branches exponentially though, so there is no danger that the game might become too simple. And there's still random influence left if one knows only the next two (or so) throws.

To be not misunderstood: I find the game good and fun to play as it is, I just wanted to post some ideas to think about and maybe to experiment with.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic