Does it make sense to report cheating here? Chess forum

10 replies. Last post: 2021-07-17

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Does it make sense to report cheating here?
  • EmTom at 2021-07-14

I'm playing infinity tourney chess game and am being destroyed. Checked the game against the engine and all opponents moves are top stockfish recommendations :-( Is there any way to report cheating cases on littlegolem?

• Wolfpack at 2021-07-14

Best method is resign first move, stops them testing their software on humans and does not effect ratings

play a variant of chess that has no software written for it

or ask Richard Malaschiz (Webmaster of this website) who plays chess with you

• MisterCat ★ at 2021-07-14

EmTom - According to your profile, you have been with this site for 15 years.  The topic of cheating has been discussed, AD NAUSEUM.  You could hunt through old forum threads.

Sites like Chess.com, for example, will investigate reported cheating, punish, and ban players.  That doesn't happen here.  This site is just more informal.  There is no money, no prizes, and even ratings go nowhere - nothing to gain, nothing to lose.  Now, I know that folks don't like to be beaten unfairly - neither do I.  I'm sure that I've been beaten by software here, several times!  I'll suggest what I do:

1. I look at my opponent's profile before I start a game.  If I see a won/lost record like 155/123, then they are probably OK - I mean, how is Stockfish going to lose 123 games here?  On the other hand, with a won/lost record like 198/2  I will get very suspicious, and NOT bother playing the game.

2. If possible, I play games against people I know, or have conversed with.  A couple of text messages during the game are usually enough to establish the personality of the person you are playing.

3. You can post your suspicions, and evidence in the Forum, as you did here, and yes - you can contact Richard; he won't do much though, besides express sympathy for your plight.

Richard has not created any cheat-proof Chess variants; not yet, anyway.  Most software can already play Chess 960.  I don't think that this is the way to go - since, if you are like me, you'd prefer to be playing REAL Chess.

Chess is NOT the only game here where folks can use software to cheat.

(meow)

• EmTom at 2021-07-15

Thanks MisterCat. You confirmed what I expected. Well I think my opponent will end up on my personal cheaters list and that is it.

• Wolfpack at 2021-07-15

Maybe add a flag list for all players for all players and shown when names are displayed

Could be a character (byte size) default=” " which can be edited to a limited set of symbols

Eg “Friend” is shown as “+Friend”

“-Foe”, “*Teammate”, “?Suspect”

• Dvd Avins at 2021-07-16

EmTom is talking about his game with me, I think. I messages after the game, he implied but did not outright accuse me of cheating.

If by cheating he means turning on an engine, I certainly didn't. There is a disagreement among players here on whether it's OK to use databases of other games, some of which have analysis that's already been done attached to them. That I do.

Here is EmTom's game against me. https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2251070

Here is the prior game. https://lichess.org/K3GhJk4J

• Dvd Avins at 2021-07-16

As MisterCat notes, if I cheated, my record would be better than 581-400-102 and my rating would be higher than 1846.

• spartacu5 at 2021-07-17

The game looked like pretty normal human chess to me.

• Paul Wiselius at 2021-07-17

Yep, looks like Dvd just bluffed EmTom away with unusual aggressive opening moves.

• Dvd Avins at 2021-07-17

I might or might not have found all those moves if the game hadn't mostly been played before. EmTom's misfortune was that his mistakes weren't original.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic