will reign 2 more years :(

• Rbpompeu at 2018-11-29

:( too

• struggler at 2018-11-29

Why :( ?

• lazyplayer ★ at 2018-11-29

Long live the old champions! :D

• Rbpompeu at 2018-11-30

:( because I think the great advantage of Magnus is his memory, just that…

• Ray Garrison at 2018-12-01

Congrats to Magnus!   He is only 27 but he is turning into an “old champion” himself!  He has been King of the world since 2013 (has won four straight world championship matches)

A very interesting match against Caruana.  All twelve classical games drawn!

• MisterCat ★ at 2018-12-01

I am disappointed with the WAY the match went, since the world champion, AGAIN, has been determined by rapid (and/or speed) play.  This is not the first time, of course, but I don't think it is right (despite Nakamura's comment to the contrary). The Chess world championship got screwed up by the first Kasparov-Karpov match, and has never really recovered, in my opinion.

I would like to see a rule change to force the victory to be obtained by classical play.  Perhaps if the original set of games (in this case, 12; used to be 24) is tied, then players would go into sudden death classical play; just ONE victory would award the winner.  As to the advantage of having the white pieces:

1. The white pieces did not appear to be an advantage in THIS match.

2. Perhaps sudden death classical games could have colors RANDOMLY chosen, game by game; it removes a certain advantage if a player and his team prepare for white, and end up playing black.  Random colors DO mean that a player could get multiple whites (or blacks) consecutively; yes, some degree of chance enters in here - but, is this any worse than turning the match into speed games (LOTS of luck factor in there), or perhaps having the winner chosen by the spin of a roulette wheel (which HAS been done)!  At least the 'classical' world champion wins via 'classical' Chess.

Carlsen IS the best player in the world right now; his style HAS had an impact in changing the approach taken by the top players.  I do not 'mind' the fact the he remains world champion.  His style can be called 'boring', but is undeniably effective.  Capablanca's style might ALSO have been called 'boring', but he remains respected as one of the greatest players of the game ever, and his style ALSO had an impact on the way the game is played at the top.

(meow)

• Thomas at 2019-01-23

This is one reason why I like draw free chess variants. Next time they should play e. g. Unirexal Chess.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic