what about a definitve rating??? General forum

7 replies. Last post: 2004-12-30

Reply to this topic Return to forum

what about a definitve rating???
  • Juan Guzmán Triviño at 2004-12-27

i think there should be a definitve rating for each player which includes a middle-value taking account all the games´rating. It´s only an idea, i love this web.

What do you think?

• FC Schalke 05 at 2004-12-28

What does “definitive” mean in this context?

• Greck at 2004-12-28

It seems that you are talking about a global rating, which “includes” all games.

I think it's pretty hard to ponderate all ratings. In first place, I have never palyed a chess game, so I don't have a rating. In second place, a really good player in Dots have abou 2000 points, while a really good player in Soccer have about 1800. This difference is hard to manage when doing arithmetical mean.

Besides that, what is a “global rating” for? Just curiosity…

• xed_over at 2004-12-28

maybe he's talking about this earlier posted challenge ( http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic.jsp?forum=1&topic=887) to be the best all round player

• Juan Guzmán Triviño at 2004-12-30

sorry for my poor english. i agree that it´s very difficult to do a global rating. but i think it could be possible if we are taking account the possitions, no the ratings in the different games… i don´t know.

• Michal Piszczalka(piszczyk) at 2004-12-30

But no't everyone play in all games and it can be a problem to count because some part of players don't have rank in all games.

For example:

hex-1500

GWG-1900

Go-1700

In other games he don't have a rank(then-0)

And average=318,7…

If that person will have only one match in all games then he will have more then 1500 rank.

It will be unfair(that's my opinion)

Sory for all mistakes in this text :-)

• David Scott at 2004-12-30

There is an old thread called “Golem Decathalon” (on page 14 or 15) which discussed the possibility of giving people points based on surplus rating points above 1500. Eg, if you are 1753, you get 253 points in that game, if you are 1500 you get 0, if you are 1300 you get 0, and if you have never played that game, you get 0. For go games, you get 25 points for every kyu below 20 kyu. Add your score for all games, and you have your Golem Decathalon rating. One problem is that the Go, Reversi, and Hex players are all at the top (Tim Shih for example) because they have multiple ratings for very similar games (same games with different size boards). One alternative is only to count only the smallest available board for each game. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter how you count it, mirror_man is typically the top dog (top player in gwg, near or at the top in all 3 go games).

Return to forum

Reply to this topic