Rating inconsistency General forum

37 replies. Last post: 2023-06-01

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Rating inconsistency
  • Nagy Fathy at 2023-04-14

Well, we had this inconsistency since the new App lunching, but now it happens too between the game page, which started to show the new rating values, and the end of game message which still has the old rating values?!

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2023-04-14

I do think it displays the correct rating on all pages.

• Florian Jamain at 2023-04-14

No it's base 1000 instead of 1500 + everything disapeared on the profils.

Dear Richard, kindly check the end of game messages.

Now the end of game message does not have any ratings, it only has before game and after game, without any data.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2023-04-15

More detail about ratings: https://docs.littlegolem.net/ratings/

• Christian0 at 2023-04-15

Ok so we're stuck with a Go-like rating system for all games now?

• Ray Garrison at 2023-04-15

from the document from Richard:

There is a button on the bottom right of the game page that allows you to toggle between rating and rank display. The toggle applies to all LG server pages

I found it on one of my game pages and clicked it. now I see numerical ratings on every page I go to instead of the go like ratings

• MisterCat ★ at 2023-04-15

Info being posted in THIS thread, and over in Twixt thread. Maybe elsewhere. As Richard has explained, you can easily switch between your desired rating display with the toggle at bottom of the page. Actually, that feature is nice. However, I'm not too sure whether the new rating system in use qualifies as 'nice'. It was only a couple of months back when ratings took a hit, with change #1. Now, with change #2, personally MY ratings went down, typically, some 300 points. Also - this does not appear to be consistent. For example, the highest rated Chess player, Svetlonio, USED TO BE rated in the 2400's, and HE IS STILL rated in the 2400's. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Furthermore, the ratings are not realistic. They used to be. In REAL LIFE, my Chess rating is in the 1700's; over at my OTHER Chess site, it's ALSO in the 1700's. This means something to people ie. 2400 = senior master, 2200 = national master, 2000 = expert, 1800 = class A, 1600 = class B, 1400 = class C, 1200 = class D, 1000 = class E. These are commonly accepted categories, based, I guess, on Elo. So I dropped down from class B to class C on this site. I can't really speak on what 'normal' ranges are in the world for the other games.

So if Richard insists on inventing HIS OWN rating system for use JUST ON HIS SITE, knowing that it DOESN'T REALLY MATCH universally accepted ratings, well - it's still his choice. I hope he has a rethink on this. Meanwhile, it remains PLAYER'S CHOICE whether to support this site with money or even whether to play here at all. Let's see how the dust settles.
    (meow)

• Florian Jamain at 2023-04-16

Because base is 20k now which does not correspond to 1500 elo.

By the way 20k is stupid, it's far too low for a beginner, this explains why you have these bugs rating, if you make everybody starts at 10k which correspond to 1500 elo then everything is logic again.

Also, I don't see the magic button at bottom right, hum?

• Christian0 at 2023-04-16

Same as Florian I don't see that button either ^

• MisterCat ★ at 2023-04-16

pick any game; doesn't have to be your own; at the bottom of the screen, below the moves and times, button says 'rating/rank'. You toggle it once, and it is taken care of for wherever you may go, including your 'player info' page; numerical ratings are to the nearest TENTH, which I see as unneeded accuracy. mc.

• bob440 at 2023-04-16

looking at one of my active games, I fail to understand how a rating of 1385.8 equates to a rank of 12k, while a rating of 1608.7 is a 7k rank

• bob440 at 2023-04-16

after reading up on the kyu/dan stuff, I get it

I think that's all I'll say about it

• Hairspring at 2023-04-16

It seems to me that Richard is the one who formed mud into this little golem and he can do as he wishes with the creature. This is about the last piece of the old internet around and I love that about the site. No ads, no tracking of our activity on line (as far as I know), no turning user data into a commodity (also as far as I know), and no shit-heel, sociopath running the show (again, as far as I know). So, I am not going to complain about changes he wants to make. I am just happy to have a place to play Twixt that works for me. Keeping any criticism in the constructive realm seems appropriate.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2023-04-16

The rating system is different on different sites. Setting different initial values would produce different results. Here on LG I have a chess rating of 1730 while in FIDE it is 1980 (1750 on chess.com, 2030 on lichess.org). So it would probably be more realistic to move that rating up 200 points.

• slaapgraag at 2023-04-16

Why is everything in 'k' right now? On my profile page I list my alltime high ratings. Thats looks quite ridiculous now… :-(

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2023-04-16

Yoou are true. It will change tonight.

• bob440 at 2023-04-16

just reloading the My Games page and watching the ratings change each time – can't help but wonder what is going on in the background

• bennok ★ at 2023-04-16

Richard just added 200 points back to ELO ratings it feels better like this. Thanks.
    I agree very much with Hairsprings comment above.

• Florian Jamain at 2023-04-16

Yes it's probably better.

I still don't get why when you start a game you are 1200 elo and not 1500… 1500 is the basis everywhere when you talk “elo"so that everybody can refer to this. This is just numbers but changing the basis seems not a good idea, it should be the same everywhere, it should be in the definition of elo.

• David J Bush ★ at 2023-04-17

I am grateful for this free site, and I don't mind too much the changes as long I can still see my Elo in relation to every other player. I do have one quibble:

This “rank/rating” button toggles between Elo rating and kyu/dan. Both of these are rating not ranking. A higher Elo or dan value (or a lower negative or kyu value) means you are stronger. Ranking is your position on the ratings ladder. A rank of 1 means you are at the top. Higher values mean you are lower down. I don't want the ranking/rating button to actually switch to or from player rankings. I can easily see rankings by looking at the rating list. I just want the label on the button to indicate Elo (or is it Glicko?) ratings versus kyu/dan ratings.

Thank you for your continuing work on this site!

• spartacu5 at 2023-04-17

Florian, chess.com also starts ratings at 1200 for self-reported “intermediate” players and even less for self-reported “beginners”.

• Oakmoss at 2023-04-18

200 extra Elo points across each of the 77 individual variants I've played? Skyrocketing 15400 points has to be the most improvement I've ever made in a single day.

• urmaul at 2023-04-19

David, actually Go players do call the kyu/dan value the “rank”, but I'm not against making the button's effect easier to predict.

Richard, I have three suggestions based on personal taste:

1. Make it the default to show ratings, not kyu/dan ranks (or, maybe, show both).
    2. Spell out “kyu” and “dan”, to make the kyu/dan ranks more self-explanatory.
    3. For a given game, make it possible to sort the list of all players by kyu/dan rank (actually I think a toggle button on the player list page would be handy).

I like this free website very much as it is. Thank you.

• Florian Jamain at 2023-04-29

This time I think the ratings are back and correspond better to the level.

• Florian Jamain at 2023-04-29

Still think it would be more relevant that the rank on the profil means your ranking on LG, like if you have rank “3” on Go it means you're the 3rd best Go player on LG.

At the moment rating and rank on a profil are quite redundant.

• Oakmoss at 2023-04-29

All my ratings are technically rank because I stink.

• Ray Garrison at 2023-04-30

I am feeling rating whiplash! Now it seems ratings are higher than original. For example, In breakthrough, without having played any games in a long time, I am now rated 2291, but before all of the recent rating changes, I was somewhere around 2250. My high rating of all time was 2290, so now I have a new high rating without playing. Same with other games it seems as well. higher ratings are probably a good thing for the ego of all players! Hoping things settle down now…

• Oakmoss at 2023-04-30

Yeah, in another thread about some games getting calculated double, Richard said he set the rating calculations essentially back to the way they had been. The ELO/kyu duality is still there, too.

I can't deny that the higher ratings do just… feel nicer. I've become quite accustomed to the old/current system, as I think it's been in place for the whole of the 15+ years–on and off–I've used this site.

• Mic22 at 2023-05-02

Hi everyone, for me it's a simple thing, going back to when I was a kid… Standings are what you shoot for.Who is

1 who are the top 10 from slot car racing to arcade machines.A serious player wants to get on the board.I think adding a power rating # like we had was cool, their were only a few elite players who busted 2000 and that is what you shoot for it was simple yet powerful!… Just my humble opinion Love the site!

• Mic22 at 2023-05-02

I don't know how my text got so big you all might want to read it with shades on.

• bob440 at 2023-05-30

I fail to understand how 1982.2 “translates” to 4.kyu while 1887.4 is 2.kyu

• William Fraser at 2023-05-30

I'm not sure this answers the question that you have about it, but ELO ranks track your current performance, while kyu/dan tracks your highest ever performance.

So my guess is that if you were to look at the rating graph for the first player, it's peak would be 100 ELO lower than the peak of the second player's graph.

• bob440 at 2023-05-30

so, once you've reached a certain kyu/dan level, you can never fail to play at that level?

I thought I understood it, but I guess I don't, because that doesn't make any sense

so, can someone provide a succinct explanation of the kyu/dan stuff?

• Ray Garrison at 2023-06-01

Ratings reset again? Many of my ratings reset to 1500 :( hopefully this will be fixed

• Oakmoss at 2023-06-01

Now we are truly a society of equals!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic