Rating difference between web and app interface General forum

5 replies. Last post: 2022-10-01

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Rating difference between web and app interface
  • Elsabio at 2022-09-24

Hi,
    the absolut ratings on the Web interface and the LG-app are differnt. Ok
    the two systems use a different offset (1000 ,1500). That is okay.
    But: my chess and breakthrogh ratings are nearly the same on the Web interface. At the App interface they differ around 200 points. What
    is the reason for that?

• William Fraser at 2022-09-25

I'm thinking that the app only uses games that are fairly recent, while the web uses games from all time.

Separately, on my computer (MacOS with Safari or Firefox), the app only has two ratings: “1+e3” and “2+e3”.

bill

• Elsabio at 2022-09-25

Thanks William, this may be a solution. The rating Charts on the app start with
    the first game played. I can't compare it with the charts on the web, because they Arena still missing.

• William Fraser at 2022-09-30

An interesting data point:

A player with no rated games is listed as “1500” on the web but “1000?” on the app.

I'm guessing that Richard changed the way he handles provisionally rated players, which is rippling out to the rest of us.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2022-10-01

There are currently two ratings. The mobile app uses a new calculation system based on a modified Glicko2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system. The basis of the new calculation system is to make it faster for new players to change ratings, and at the same time, when someone plays against a new player, the result of the game will have a lower impact on the rating change.

The rating is not only calculated for each variant of the game separately, but also calculates an additional rating for the whole game as well as one global rating regardless of the game. This is available in the stats item where there is also a chart.

At the same time, if you look at the completed games in “My games”, you can see how the rating has changed after each game.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic