Is the server slow? General forum

24 replies. Last post: 2021-10-10

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Is the server slow?
  • Nagy Fathy at 2021-09-11

Do you feel the same, or it is my internet connection? I am asking this and trying to check the formatting of new posts on the forum too. I hope this formatting issue is a temporary symptom for the App. and everything will return to normal again soon.

• Ray Garrison at 2021-09-11

not just you….littlegolem is very sluggish at the moment, but working….

• Thomas at 2021-09-18

Same experience, since about 2 days.

• ka300 ★ at 2021-09-18

seems more sluggish in the last 2-3 days indeed..

• jytou ★ at 2021-09-18

Same here: very slow in the last few days.

• Oakmoss at 2021-09-18

Maybe we're all just getting faster.

• Tommah at 2021-09-21

The site is definitely slow. The footer text includes the amount of time taken to generate the page (in milliseconds). It used to be something like 50 ms, but lately I have seen it go up to 3000, 4000 sometimes.

• Nagy Fathy at 2021-09-24

I think I had a record
    Response

• Nagy Fathy at 2021-09-24

Once more
    LG response

• dmircea at 2021-09-24

It feels slow for me as well but only lately and from time to time. Something is off.

• jytou ★ at 2021-09-24

It is blazing fast right now.

• mmKALLL ★ at 2021-09-24

Oh wow, seems like there was a definite improvement! For the past few weeks I had a very suspicious Mime-type tag pop up, but now it's gone.

• Wolfpack at 2021-09-24

bottom of this page is either

Contact Documentations 2020 ©LittleGolem –1– Not a Member Yet?

or

Contact Documentations 2020 ©LittleGolem –2– Not a Member Yet?

?is it safe to assume 1 and 2 are fast

• Wolfpack at 2021-09-24

managed to get a 3 but took 50 refreshes

• Ray Garrison at 2021-09-26

what does that number mean? For me, I get 3, 4, 5 or 6.

• Ray Garrison at 2021-09-26

so that is when I use google chrome. when I use microsoft edge, I get larger numbers. I even saw a “20”

• Nagy Fathy at 2021-09-27

The number means the time to create the page, it is a direct indication for the server response. When you get 3 it means the page took 3 milliseconds to be created. In my previous post with the picture, the number was over 47000, it means the page took 47 seconds to be created.
    I think there is no relation between the browser and the number, but a slow browser might render a page in much larger time than the number shows.

• jytou ★ at 2021-09-28

Well technically it may be possible that the client browser changes the generated page to a significant extent if some features need to be generated in a more complex way than for other browsers. So it could be possible that generating a page for Edge is more complex than for other browsers, hence slower. :) Anyway, to a human 3 or 20 milliseconds makes no difference. :P

• Nagy Fathy at 2021-09-29

I doubt that Richard create different sources for the different browsers.
    Anyway, as we are trying to guess most of the time, and Richard never reply to these kind of posts, then I will do the test myself, and get sure that all the pages are generated exactly the same for all browsers.

• jytou ★ at 2021-09-29

I just tried Edge, no difference whatsoever with Firefox. Same numbers. Which is not surprising to me. This number is calculated at the server level, so the only way it can differ is if it generates something different. The flow goes that way:

• client sends http request, <= some time (measured at the clock wall) can be spent here, but the server doesn't know that
    • server receives http request, <= same here
    • server generates page, <= this is what the number measures - at is has no way of knowing the other timings anyway
    • server replies with http response <= again some time spent, but the page has already been generated and the number is already there

So the only parameters that vary here is how busy the server is at the moment of the call, and potentially different code to generate for different clients. I agree it is highly unlikely that littlegolem will generate most things differently, but javascript, typically, may be generated very differently for different browsers, as well as HTML/CSS depending on the capabilities of the browsers and/or orientation of the screen and many other things. This was very true in the past but less and less true these days as a huge effort to standardize things has been undertaken (while getting rid of things like Flash which filled the void of standards for many things such as video at some point, but now with HTML5 it has become more of a security concern than anything else). My guess is that you were just unlucky with Edge at the moment you surfed. Note that all pages are not equal. Typically, the page for Game of Empathy (generally around 20-30 ms at the moment) is slower than many other pages (2-4 ms for most other pages as far as I can see). :) Of course all this highly depends on how much the server is busy

• Nagy Fathy at 2021-09-30

I think the main difference happened due to DB access, you can check that with forums with large number of posts, also with game of empathy, and specially when you try to access the game list that has more than 1000 games. These actions took the largest time to be generated. I think the main problem in the last week was related to DB, then to the CPU.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2021-10-05

Maybe it is now better - I found one old bug in code (block threads in java for a few seconds).

• Nagy Fathy at 2021-10-05

Thank you Richard, it is much better now, even better than before.

• jytou ★ at 2021-10-10

Thanks Richard, it is super fast now. :)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic