Greatest single move of all time TWIXT PP

13 replies. Last post: 2017-02-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Greatest single move of all time
  • mtbikesman at 2017-02-20

Which single move in Twixt do you think is the greatest move of all time.

It should be something that completely turns a game from an almost certain loss to a win.

My entry would be game 1679875 move 33

What is your entry?

• Loony at 2017-02-20

I vote game 1107581 move 26.

• Tasmanian Devil at 2017-02-20

May I request that the suggestions be posted with hyperlinks?

• Hartmut at 2017-02-20

don't think there is *one* such move, but I played a lot worth to remember. One of the finest is from a game with Klaus Hußmanns I had the (rare) pleasure to win, long before littlegolem times. You know it as problem #40 from the booklet in KLEE / KOSMOS game editions. Found in web archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20071005084530/http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/Twixt/puzzles.html (bottom of page)

• David J Bush ★ at 2017-02-20

Yes puzzle 40 is excellent. But I find the criterion for this contest confusing. If you are truly losing, you cannot turn it into a win without your opponent's cooperation. So perhaps you want us to submit confusing moves which fooled the opponent into making an error? Or maybe you want to see the move in a winning position which the opponent missed? You can't make a winning move in a losing position. You can make a flashy move that demonstrates the counter-intuitive nature of Twixt tactics. But it could be argued that a strategic move earlier in the same game, which set the stage for those tactics, was a deeper move.

So what do you want to see? A good hustle? Flashy tactics? Or deep strategy?

• Tasmanian Devil at 2017-02-20

I think we might be looking for a move that seems a bit out of place at first, but nails a win in a seemingly troublesome situation, a bit like the famous Ear Reddening Move in go.

BTW an interactive page for the puzzles is at http://www.ibiblio.org/twixtpuzzles/

There is a much earlier thread https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=55&topic=128 which discusses the same topic. A move of mine was mentioned.

[game;id:572975;move:28]

Here's a link to the analysis page. It's a flashy move, but not nearly as deep as Twixt can get.

• mtbikesman at 2017-02-20

To answer David Bush:  A great move would be one that takes a game that appears to be lost and changes it to a win.  A move that most players would not see.

• passenger at 2017-02-20

I really like the move 20.k19 I've made in the game I've already mentioned in different thread. I think it fits the criteria pretty well. It's definitely not very obvious and doesn't look very smart at first, but in the end it looks like it was the winning move (although I can be obviously be wrong, since there's so much going on there). Unfortunately later I've made the crucial mistake and lost the game anyway.

I also like the move 10. q15 in this game that helped me to counter the Medcalf Defense and set up the 14. v9

• passenger at 2017-02-20

PS. Obviously I'm not be bold enough to claim the title of “the greatest move of all time” since when I analyze the game of Maciek or David I usually have no idea what's going on there, so I'm sure we should look for “The Move” somewhere in their games.

• flounder at 2017-02-20

I'm a less than mediocre player, but do love the skills of the game. It's harder when you actually play, if that makes sense. I appreciate seeing games that I am in awe of move by move. I do like that move mtbikesman, as always, a player can't be in two places at once. A good diversion move. Passenger, loved your game against The Big Hurt, your question, and the answer. Take care everyone.

• flounder at 2017-02-20

One more comment. David J Bush, absolutely beautiful move against maraca, 28th move. Saw this game was 10+ years ago. mtbikesman, saw yours was a little over two years ago. Just wanted to let you players know, these are pay-per- view. Absolutely beautiful moves.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic