Players "dispersion" Hex, Havannah

13 replies. Last post: 2018-09-03

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Players "dispersion"
  • lazyplayer ★ at 2018-08-21

I'm thinking, some players play on “infinity”, some on championship, why we don't agree and we all join one and ignore the other? There are already too few active players. I think infinity probably is better, but I'm not really sure.

Heck, I would say the website should settle for one and get rid of the other. Duplicates like this are anti-features.

• Christian0 at 2018-08-21

I think some small games got too many options for different board sizes such as Havannah and Morelli. For Hex it's not even that bad :-).

Christian0, how many worthy Havannah players there are? I can feel your pain anyway!

• simpledeep at 2018-08-21

nope, people like me just want as much training as possible. players split between two groups means more matches available for people like me who are willing to be a part of both groups.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2018-08-22

simpledeep, i can understand your point, but having multiple tournaments and having a clear ranking of importance between them isn't incomaptible. I would just like to say look we're ALL on this tournament, then SOME of us are also on THAT, etc etc.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2018-08-22

For example, there could be a main championship, a lesser championship, an even lesser championship, etc etc, and you would go up or down independently on each. I've to say for championship at least the rules are clear, unlike infinity.

• shalev at 2018-08-31

I've been considering the “championship” to be the official top tournament. I play on both the championship and the infinities, in all sizes. (In the last championship I was downgraded to table 2 after flagging a bunch of games last year. I'll be back in table 1 in the upcoming championship, if you're interested, lazyplayer)

I think the real issue is that Arek, Maciej, and lazyplayer (arguably the top 3 hex players) have all been absent from BOTH the championship AND the infinity tournaments lately. It's a pity!

• Arek Kulczycki at 2018-08-31

I'm coming back this champ. Lazyplayer is too lazy to start from second/third division :)

Dunno about Maciej

• Arek Kulczycki at 2018-08-31

anyway the problem is not about dispersion, but about low interest in hex in general

• lazyplayer ★ at 2018-08-31

I guess Maciej has better things to do, he wants to use his talents in productive way!

Anyway yeah I'm too lazy to play, it's true, anyway I'll give a try to “championship”, i'll give some handicap stone so I get interesting games for sure. Actually even playing against weak players, if you play really careful, it has some training value. It's just a lot of work.

• William Fraser at 2018-09-03

IMHO the championship is the “real” top thing.  The infinity is for people who just want a steady trickle of fairly casual games, instead of a big burst of 8 games at once, followed by weeks or months of waiting.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2018-09-03

William, yes I realized my question was stupid. I was confused because shalev wasn't in the championship, but he has clarified the situation very well.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic