Scoring Game of Empathy

16 replies. Last post: 2006-02-06

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Scoring
  • MichaeI X at 2006-02-01

This game is quite different from the other ones, and I like it very much. (I just noticed it half an hour ago)

I understand the goal is to guess which expressions the others will choose (It's up to everybody to enter anything)

I understand minimum score is 10 points for participating with entries that no one else uses. Maximum highly depends of the number of participants and their diversity.

Goal is to get a high score ;)

Sure, little golem is about winning games.

But: This game is different from the other ones.

It's nice there is NO RANKING, and we should not take it too serious. It's obvious that using multiple identities will kill any fun with this game.

• Marius Halsor at 2006-02-01

Yes, this is a game where it obviously is extremely easy to cheat. But I think no-one will do that, at least as long as there is no rating. I think everyone agrees that getting a high score is fun only if you were not cheating. So let's keep ratings out of this game. Oh, and my assosiations to “Football” were… no, wait - that would be cheating, wouldn't it? :-)

• ypercube at 2006-02-01

Would it be cheating, really? You could be lying!

• MichaeI X at 2006-02-01

Currently, it's not cheating but testing (what will happen if someone …)

;)

It will move the game to another level:

- Guess which words will the cheaters use to influence the result?

Of course it is cheating, Marius is absolutely right

• ypercube at 2006-02-01

Why is it cheating? Can you please explain why? I see no rules saying that it is not proper to announce one's words - whether lying or not.

• klaashaas at 2006-02-01

The referee should give you a yellow card if you try to cheat, Marius:)

• Marius Halsor at 2006-02-01

OK, first of all, the easiest ways of cheating is of course by using multiple IDs, or just cooperate with other players (let's use 8 similar words).

Why is announcing my assosiations cheating? Or rather, why do I believe it should be considered cheating? Well, it might not RUIN the game, but it certainly would alter it. It becomes a totally different game, a kind of “forum bluff game”. Will you copy my associations? Will you copy some of them? Should you announce your own list? Should you lie about it? Or at least some of the words? Should you write in the forum “let's all agree not to use Marius' words”? Or at least some of them? And maybe you would still use them? At what time should you post your list, or comments to lists? Could be interresting, maybe, but definitely an enirely different game.

By announcing my list, it is highly likely that others will copy some of the words on that list. Knowing that, it becomes attractive for others again to copy words from the list, as they know several others will have those words. If everyone uses the same list, everyone wins (oh, happy ending! :-) ). This is, of course, assuming that no-one else post their list or comments on my list.

That is why I don't think we should do this. But I don't make the rules! :-)

• Figilano at 2006-02-01

*lol* @ klaashaas :-D

• anwi at 2006-02-02

Why on used words list number of points is always above 1?

I would expect several ones at the end of list also.

• Linesman at 2006-02-02

I suppose words that appear only once are not listed.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2006-02-03

To Linesman: Yes.

• ypercube at 2006-02-05

So much for the prediction that noone would cheat in this game :(

Multiple identities have started killing the fun :(

• Marius Halsor at 2006-02-06

I wonder why he thinks this is fun. Not trying to hide it, either - he's told the forum earlier that all these aliases are the same person (or, most of them, anyway). If it only made that person get a high ranking, then we could simply ignore him when looking at the placing. Unfortunately, it now becomes ten times as important to guess what this person is thinking as what other persons are thinking.

It really is time for some rules, Richard. Please ban multiple IDs. Yes, I know, it can be hard to tell sometimes, but in this case it is so obvious that with such a rule, you could safely ban this person with a clean conscience, and everyone else would applaud.

• klaashaas at 2006-02-06

There are a few persons who have multiple nicks. One for streetsoccer and one for another game. I dont' have any problems with that. But I think we, at least, need a rule which forbid to play against oneself.

• Figilano at 2006-02-06

What's the point in cheating, anyway? “Look at me, I'm too dumb to win anything by normal means”? :-P

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2006-02-06

I repair score for last game (mathematic). It has no impact on first three positions.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic