Vote to combine plurals, punctuation, the, a, etc. Game of Empathy

25 replies. Last post: 2006-04-28

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Vote to combine plurals, punctuation, the, a, etc.
  • Bryan at 2006-04-12

If you think the rules of empathy should be changed so that the plural and singular of the same word are considered the same, that all punctuation should be ignored, and that 'the' and 'a' should be dropped from phrases when they exist as a single word, vote yes here.

(Example: “Carrot”, “carrots”, “the carrots”, and “A Carrot!!!” would all count towards the same answer, “carrot”)

• Bryan at 2006-04-12

Yes! (I'm voting in my own poll.)

• Ed Collins at 2006-04-12

I vote for that. That, to me, is what this game is all about.

• Judy at 2006-04-13

That's what I have wanted all along. I vote YES!!!

• Nagy Fathy at 2006-04-13

Yes, I agree 100%

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2006-04-16

OK. I agree. Done.

• christopher at 2006-04-16

Thanks Richard!:)

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2006-04-16

Sorry Salla.

I recalculate last game (christmas). Salla Lehtonen was winner. After recalculation is winner Tasmanian Devil. Reason was word [present]. Before recalculation there was two words - [present] (17 points) and [presents] (31 points).

• Judy at 2006-04-17

Hey! Thanks, Richard, this is going to be a lot more accurate as to how we are thinking the same thought…

Yeaaaaaaaa

• Paavo Pirinen at 2006-04-17

Heh. So this should end the debate. Every solution had it's supporters, none had much more than others. Richard did his choice. It was not what I hoped for, but is not that bad either. Downsides are mostly philosophical. Parser (or what ever that spelling checker is) seems now rather efficient. It has it's obscurities, but people will most probably get extra points because of that, if anything. That should not produce too many complaints, should it?

• Tasmanian Devil at 2006-04-17

Very sympathetic of you to make the change for this game Richard :-D

• Judy at 2006-04-17

Richard is well known for his graciousness in accepting people's suggestions all across the site!

I hope more newcomers will consider joining as Members to help pay for this terrific site!

• Bryan at 2006-04-17

Hey, that's excellent! Thanks Richard!

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-04-18

vote no

• diosmalos at 2006-04-18

sure why not

• Fez at 2006-04-18

Yes. And “The” should be ignored so that “Godfather” and “The Godfather” and effectively the same answer.

• Rex Moore at 2006-04-18

No, Judy, it won't be more accurate “as to how we are thinking the same thought.” That was the whole debate.

• Ed Collins at 2006-04-18

Rex, I disagree. It will be more accurate. With the recent change, the difference NOW is the program just won't be so particular (or “nit-picky”, if I may use that term) as to how that thought is expressed and conveyed.

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-04-18

ya lets make it so easy no one has to think then the game can be really lame

• Rex Moore at 2006-04-18

I know you and Judy disagree, but I don't think you could be more wrong and didn't appreciate her re-opening the can of worms, so to speak (not cans of worm), in a gloating manner.

• suzanne at 2006-04-27

did we ever agree on capitals, or no capitals?

the reason i ask is b/c on the harry potter empathy game i did not receive points for Hogwarts b/c i used a capital, i looked in the books, and Hogwarts is spelled with a capital, but i see everyone else did not use capitals….hmmmm…so r we doing capital for the states….states is a name of a place, should automatically be capitalized….lol..but so should have Hogwarts….?????

• ypercube at 2006-04-28

Capital or not, it doesn't matter. Are you sure you spelled hogwarts the same way the other spelled it? And are you sure you did not get any poimts for it?

• Figilano at 2006-04-28

I think the mysterious “I wrote down a word ending on 's', did get the points for it, but it isn't highlighted in the word-list”-bug may be the answer here, because I spelled Hogwarts with a capital 'H' and it isn't highlighted in my list, too.

• Greck at 2006-04-28

all capitals are converted to small letters, and all spaces are removed. So I don't fully understand what are you talking about…

• suzanne at 2006-04-28

Yeah it wasnt highlighted….hmmmmm….my points would have been alot higher with the Hogwarts points, oh and ive learned to double check my spelling…

Return to forum

Reply to this topic