Golf scorecard history Game of Empathy

1 replies. Last post: 2012-09-03

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Golf scorecard history
  • MarleysGhost at 2012-09-03

As a compromise between those who want to see a long history of the GoE golf scorecard and those (if any besides me) who don't want a big hairy long forum topic that bogs down the server and the transatlantic cables, I've introduced a new algorithm for creative destruction (as Mitt would phrase it) of the historic scorecards.

The idea is that the most recent n scorecards are kept, preceded by an era in which every 2nd scorecard is kept, preceded by an era in which every 4th scorecard is kept, etc until an indefinitely long era in which (for GoE) every 16th scorecard is kept. 1/16th is chosen as a lower limit to allow restoring the entire history back to the oldest kept scorecard.

As I write, the oldest scorecard participating in this algorithm is in the 1/4 era.

At minimum each era would span one or two of its own periods. The eras could be made longer than that, but it's not clear to me what criteria would be used to determine non-minimal era lengths.

If the algorithm is extended indefinitely rather than being capped at 1/16th then the probability of a scorecard (or tape backup or whatever) being kept is inversely proportional to its age.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic