11 replies. Last post: 2011-08-22

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Suggestion for a change
  • Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2011-08-02

1. 5 words instead of 10

2. New game open every 48 hours

3. Game will be open whole week - there will be three open games

• Elisa Kabiljo at 2011-08-02

1. This doesn’t seem like a good idea. Usually, even 10 words aren’t enough. Maybe to alternate rounds with 5 and 10 words?

2. and 3. Good ideas

But I must repeat: repeated topics just kill a game. It will be nice to eliminate obvious repetition (comparing new expressions against all old topics).

• Marius Halsor at 2011-08-02

I agree with Elisa - 1. is not a good idea. Often there will be 3-4 expressions that are rather obvious, and 5 words are therefore too few. 10 words is a very good size, in my opinion.

As for 2. and 3., I think they are good ideas, too.

• Aaron Coombs at 2011-08-02

2 and 3 are great ideas.

• kfiecio at 2011-08-02

I agree that the number of expression reduction is to big. Like Marius said there is always a couple of obvious answers. But I think that some reduction is ok. I often had trouble with last 2-3 expressions especially on some very abstract topics. I think 8 words is better then 10. I like the other two ideas.

• MarleysGhost at 2011-08-02

1. 5 words not good

2. I like the current 3-day cycle. More frequency would not make more enjoyment, speaking for myself.

3. Good idea.

Some rejection of repeated topics could be automated. I suggest getting RoRoRo's repeated-topic-recognizing algorithm from FatPhil. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

• Dvd Avins at 2011-08-02

The number of expressions could vary and be part of the suggestion that gets voted on. I suspect you now have mostly topics that require about 10 words because you know you'll have 10 words.

• MichaeI X at 2011-08-04

Fewer words would be a different game. What about 1 answer only?

Depends on the topic, but usually there's more than one obvious reply, so which to chose ?

I agree that 5 might be a rather bad choice: Either more than the number of obvious answers or less.

What about different size variants in parallel?

• Barry at 2011-08-05

I like suggestions 2 and 3, a reduction in the number of expressions could work, but with the frequency of games increasing I don't see a problem with the occasional repeated topic or reworded topic.

• slaapgraag at 2011-08-22

Some players already have problems now when to think of a new round start. 3 open games will not contribute to the simplicity what makes GOE so sympathetic. Naa, i dont think these suggestions will make a better game….

• KPT at 2011-08-22

Richard, try the Elimination mode, that i explained in one of the threads.

thats very fun, and competitive.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic