what to choose next? Game of Empathy

17 replies. Last post: 2006-03-14

Reply to this topic Return to forum

what to choose next?
  • Hartmut at 2006-03-13

the automatism for next choices is strange, as it obviously takes words from some comments entered in this field, not always senseful terms. Today the former empathy expressions are a significant category (while I wouldn't like to guess what you think here), but what about the rest? “always”? “silly”? Hmmm… Okay, some of the terms are not known to me anyway, I would pass or ask a dictionary later. Any idea how to avoid such a misleaded choice?

• Marius Halsor at 2006-03-13

I would very much like expressions like “always” or “silly”. I find such phrases much more fun to play than expressions simply asking us to choose most likely items from a list (like comic figures, countries, super powers etc - and also “former empathy expressions”). Trying to find expressions that many people associate with “always” or “silly” seems like much more fun to me! :-)

• klaashaas at 2006-03-13

You're a freak, Marius! :-)

Well, that should be obvious to everyone, Klaashaas! :-) However, I wonder: Who, among the frequent players on this site, are NOT? Maybe something to think about for the list-enthusiasts among you “Least freaky LG-players?” ;-)

• Marco (DeSangre) at 2006-03-13

I proposed both the videogames and the former empathy expressions, but I think I'd have fun with something weird like “always” and “silly”. “Having fun” though, is not equal to “interesting game”: although I would have fun WHILE playing, I thought the results would be kinda random. On less weird stuff (like China) you can play more strategically, but then again, a weird round once in a while will be fun _

Oh, I disagree. Although the score would probably be lower, I still think the “random” part of “always” or “silly” would be small. More difficult, maybe (harder to google…), but still, I think there are several expressions that many would think of, and that the top words would get lots of points. We'll see, I guess, once we try a few of these expressions.

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-13

I have suggested 3 so far that have went on to be the main topic. Wolf, cartoon characters, and What is in your pockets.

Of course the first 2 I bombed at and did not do very well, and if that happens again this time - I think I might stop suggesting things….. :-)

• Paavo Pirinen at 2006-03-13

At least I am with Marius. 24 first words were simple nouns. Oh the glory of those simple times! I like diversity, but I would also like to play two or three generic one-word assosiation days per week. I feel they are the purest ones. Listing days and such are fun at first glance, but in the end I think they lack depth. I'm afraid listing gets more days than it has fans, because even though they might be interresting to play, words like 'glass' or 'pink' aren't that inviting to voters.

My perfect week would probably be something like

two generic words (like those 'forest' and 'pink')

one basic listing (like that super power day)

one strange word (maybe onomatopoetic, like my 'whrr')

one sentence non question sentence (like 'All your base are belong to us.')

one knowledge (or information search) based (like 'Chuck Norris')

one concept defying (like 'why?' or 'words that should have been on yesterdays list, but were not')

• Hartmut at 2006-03-13

To add some more explanation what I believed: nothing against unconventional terms, why not a word like “silly” - whatever we might associate, I don't know. But I believe this was a proposal by mistake as anyone entered a strange comment like “what a pain always suggesting silly words” (not knowing there is a forum for such comments) - and then “always”, “pain” and “silly” become proposed terms due to some mechanical algorithm. To be honest, the first days I entered a different comment myself in the suggestion field and was surprised to find some words as suggestions the next day (I never did it again, promised!). No doubt, such sentences should be excluded from the proposal list if possible.

Maybe such “silly” stuff can be avoided if the suggestion field is optional to fill or words would be taken from a regulary (for sure no daily or even weekly task) lectured pool of suggested terms. I might imagine these senseless comments are expression of a lack of ideas when asked for a nadatory suggestion.

Some note about the terms in general: the public here is quite international. English isn't everyones main language (so in my case) and proposals should be done with respect to the chance to know what we are talking about. I don't mind to pass if a term isn't clear to me (“summit”), but this should be an exception.

• Hartmut at 2006-03-13

typing mistake: I meant “mandatory” suggestion. however, I just checked and removed my proposal from the daily form and this is possible. I thought I was asked to fill in this field when the game started some weeks ago

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-13

I'm wondering if there is something automaticly picking suggested words, or if the site owner is doing it. I could have sworn there for awhile a new word was not one of the ones “voted” on the day before - but maybe that was early in the game history and something automatic has been put into place now.

• Bill Collins at 2006-03-14

What I have seen is the suggestions come only from the one's who are in the top ten list. My suggestion has never made it in, simply because I don't do well. on the other hand someone like Ed Collins has had 3 or 4 of his entered in the drawing because he is the top ten from time to time. An award for being right? I don't know, but it seems a little unfair, kind of like letting the people with the power make the rules for all, or the people with the money decide their own tax rate.

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-14

Bill - I think you might be on to something. Looking through my past games and trying to remember what I suggested, for the longest time I tried to suggest “wolf”. And it wasn't until I tied for 1st place in the Chess game is when wolf showed up (as w o l f) since I was playing if doing things like that made a difference.

Then looking through the rest - after I did good on the super power one, my cartoon characters suggestion came up.

After I did good on the video game one, my “What is in your pockets right now?” suggestion came up.

And I got 2nd on that, and my suggestion of “All time best movie” is up.

Not only that, but the suggestion is first in the list - meaning maybe the person who got 1st did not suggest anything. I wonder if the 3rd place person suggested the carebear one.

That is how I figured it! I bet others would agree. So the winners keep winning because there favorite suggestion is always there. Kind of like having some sort of home field advantage, being comfortable with the words.

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-14

Well I average 34th place in the ones I suggest. :-)

Never had my suggestion up, so I wouldn't know how I'd do.

• Paavo Pirinen at 2006-03-14

Yes, it would be nice to know how voting works. It's most probably random. I'd guess it won't pick only the words of the best, I bet it won't pick random words from many worded submissions. I've got my word for voting once. I have never made it to the top three, but I have got some pretty good positions along the way.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic