12 replies. Last post: 2017-12-25

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Blog on t-Go: a big fight in a recent game
  • Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-10-06

I made a blog post about an interesting recent t-Go game vs Jos Dekker:

a-big-fight-in-t-go-game

Comments are welcome :)

• apetresc at 2017-10-10

Woah, how did you get WGo.js to support toroidal go? Did you just add markup for the region and then manually duplicated the stones? Or is there some undocumented variant support?

• Carroll at 2017-10-10

On another thread, Malcom wrote:

“I would welcome feedback on this new article I’ve written: An introduction to toroidal Go.

Also, I’ve made a tool for reviewing t-Go games from little Golem. It’s alpha software and provided on an “as is” basis: link.”

• Carroll at 2017-10-10

Sorry Malcolm for the typos.

• mmKALLL ★ at 2017-10-10

Went through the game, great fighting from both sides indeed. Interesting how the whole-board situation ended up being affected heavily by the toroidiality, despite the almost conspicuously normal initial moves!

• gamesorry ★ at 2017-10-11

Interesting game indeed!

I think if white-48 makes an atari at 49 first, white can win the battle (or at least black has to give up the 4 stones)

• gamesorry ★ at 2017-10-11

(Oh if white-48 at original-game-49, black connects, then white-50 at original-game-50, then black cannot even sacrifice the 4 stones)

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-10-11

Thanks gamesorry, I see what you mean; well spotted! I remember now that I noticed after playing 47 that White cutting at original-game-49 seemed too good for White. If White plays 48 as you suggest then I think Black has to lose at least two cutting stones; it seems good for White. So 48 was a mistake but so was 47 - I probably should have played the “shape” diagonal (kosumi/尖) move of at original-game-50. Then the position is unclear to me, but still seems better than in the variation you suggest.

I'll update the blog post at some point.

apetresc, to get that effect I used quite a bit of my own javascript. My code firsts applies some transformations to the t-Go SGF, calculating which stones are removed at each move, and projecting moves on the t-Go board to the 19x19 board with wraparound and markup to indicate the “edge” of the 11x11 board ;  it then sends the result to WGo.js.

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-10-24

Just for the record, I finally got round to updating the blog post.

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-12-21

I reposted the same game on my blog, but this time with variations - I’ve made some improvements to the software so no it can handle displaying variations.

I’ve also added a feature for “panning” the board.

link to commented game

• Sighris at 2017-12-25

Re: http://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1873384&nmove=45 / a-big-fight-in-t-go-game // How would you (Black) have responded if Jos Dekker (White) had played I-10 on move 46?  9-I? If yes, then what if Jos Dekker (White) had played J-10 on move 48?

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-12-25

@Sighris

I wouldn't have played 9-I in answer to I-10; I would have played K8 instead in order to protect both cutting points.

I've added this variation to the blog post.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic