Draw LOA forum

10 replies. Last post: 2007-03-12

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Draw
  • Pawel Grabowski at 2006-02-12

Hi! I want to show you intresting game which I take part of. It ended with a draw. Maybe it is first LOA draw game at LG?

draw game

Pawel Grabowski

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2006-02-13

Yes, it is first draw on LG.

• Henrik Sjøl at 2006-02-13

In the LOA homepage (link from the LG rules page), it says:

“If a move simultaneously creates a win for both the player moving and the opponent, the player moving wins”.

But in the LG rules, this is defined as a draw.

What is “correct”, or what is most logical?

• ypercube at 2006-02-13

When the inventor of this game first spoke about it, the rules were draw in such a case. Later he changed his mind, so there would be no draw and the moving player wins.

Richard's rules said from the beginning that it's a draw.

• Canteli at 2006-05-02

I think the most logical idea is draw, because both players bring all of checkers together into a contiguous body at same time.

• Greck at 2006-05-02

No, Canteli…

a single player bring the checkers of both players into a contiguous body.

it is just a point of view :)

• Jorge Gómez at 2006-05-04

The inventor changed his mind probably because he thought that among expert players draw by simultaneous connection would be quite common.

However, practice demonstrate that it is a very rare situation and a draw by repetition is the normal case of draw (but less that 1% of the games are draws).

So a draw for double connection is a good choiche

• Carroll at 2007-02-06

It is a pity Whide drew, they could instead have won by

22.e3-b3 23.e7-c5 (forced)

24.b6-c6 mates in one…

• Carroll at 2007-02-06

Oops mistake, it is a mate in 4 but first move is 23. f5-d7…

• maraca at 2007-03-12

Another good reason for a draw: The game becomes even more interesting. The moving player doesn't have to beat the stone of the opponent, he can probably avoid this and connect (as first) later. If he can't do this because he would lose, he has to take the opponent's stone. So it's a forced move.

In my oppinion such a close game, with forced moves, should be rewarded for both players, so it's a draw.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic