Anyone up for trying a game of nim-string? Dots and Boxes

30 replies. Last post: 2014-07-10

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Anyone up for trying a game of nim-string?
  • Christian K at 2014-06-10

Rules are the same as dots and boxes but there are no points, the player to capture the last box wins.

This means that it will be all about the chainwar and sacrafices will not cost you anything.

Anyone up for trying a game? I will probably be horrible at it :)

• 7ics at 2014-06-10

i'd like to play

• diego44 at 2014-06-10

I'm curious as well. Invite me vor a game, Christian.

• Carroll at 2014-06-10

Count me in!

I would also like to test misere nimstring ( the one who takes last box loses).

• Christian K at 2014-06-11

I cannot find the button. Anyone knows where it is?

• Carroll at 2014-06-11

I created a user tournament:

http://littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?dto.id=877&view=

• 7ics at 2014-06-11

wow, i broke the forum. no clue why

• Christian K at 2014-06-11

Jerk!

• William Fraser at 2014-06-11

Trying to fix

Trying again

Giving up.  Realizing that it just won't work.

As to what 7ics did, it looks lie there was an error in the link.  Perhaps due to a misplaced quote?

It sounds like a good bug for Richard to know about.  If 7ics could remember approximately what he was trying to do and send it to Richard, perhaps he could find time to look into it?

In any case, another observation that I wish to make is that misere nimstring is not that different from regular.

Under most circumstances, the winner is the same as regular nimstring.  For example, if there is a chain at the end and your opponent is forced to open it, you can choose to take the whole string (and win misere) or take all but two (and win regular).

• 7ics at 2014-06-11

“this is what i wrote”:http://pastebin.com/fM7SQwVd

• Carroll at 2014-06-11

@William, but what if there are 0 long chains and just small chains ;) ?

• Carroll at 2014-06-11

Does someone has more information on Winning Ways strange animal with a moon symbol, which happens when someone makes a suicide move on a 2-chain?

moon+*0=moon+*=moon+*2=…=moon+moon=moon*0

• William Fraser at 2014-06-12

The moon symbol, which is called “Loony” refers to a position with an opened long chain (or the silly move of a 2-chain).

As indicated in the formula you gave, it is always a win for whoever is to move, regardless of the rest of the board.

As to positions with no long chains, you are correct that it is more complicated.  And, of course, when you are not penalized for giving away boxes, long chains can be destroyed quite early.

I withdraw my objection.

• Carroll at 2014-06-12

Thanks Bill !

Will you register at the user tournament?

Only two people registered as for now, start date at 2014-06-15, tell me if you need more time.

• diego44 at 2014-06-12

I would gladly join if it only be unrated.

• Christian K at 2014-06-12

I would register but I get an error each time :/

• Carroll at 2014-06-12

Changed to unrated.

What happens when you click on http://littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?dto.id=877&view= ?

• diego44 at 2014-06-12

I actually get logged off when clicking on your first link.

Entered the tournament and hope many others will join.

• oehpsk at 2014-06-12

???

• oehpsk at 2014-06-12

Oops. I meant to say that I'd love to play as well.

• Christian K at 2014-06-15

Sadly I was not able to join :/ will look forward to watch the game though. Who do you think has the advantage?

• diego44 at 2014-06-15

Dryad and I played a bit around and came to the conclusion that it's very likely to be a second player win.

Of course, as always, no one knows.

• Dryad at 2014-06-21

Okay, I guess we should clarify this again. According to the discription of the tournament the winning condition is following:

“The one who takes last box wins. The other player should resign if he has more boxes.”

This means to my understanding that giving up the control when theres no chains left is the correct thing to do. In game #1643500 i have given up on staying in control in order to get the last box and I'm now asked to resign while I think I won. Did I understand something wrong? “http://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1643500”:The game

• diego44 at 2014-06-21

I was writing a post in just the same second, but containing the same message.

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1643509&nmove=35

Same issue going on here.

I claim the right not to resign as I won according to rules.

• William Fraser at 2014-06-21

Dang.  Sorry about that.  That was me in both games.

I was too hasty in my reading of the rules, and expected it to be the other way around.  (I was expecting “The player required by the rules to move, but unable to do so, loses.” because that is the opposite of “misere” in my experience).

Please feel free to ignore my in-game comments and claim your rightful victory.

• diego44 at 2014-06-21

I admit it's confusing as I expected the same wrong rules as you did at first.

As for future nim tournaments I suggest changing the rules so that the winner is the player who does not capture the last box. Because in case of zero chains p1 technically won the nim game but loses the game nevertheless.

• Christian K at 2014-07-10

I agree :)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic