Variant: given set of dice StreetSoccer

10 replies. Last post: 2011-12-02

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Variant: given set of dice
  • beppi at 2011-11-04

I want to propose a variant for Street Soccer.

Instead of rolling a dice, players have the same set of 25 dice each in a bag. The only random dice is the first one, as in the current rules. All the others are chosen turn by turn by the players, pulling them out of their own bags: hence, players can decide when in the game is convenient to use their weak and strong numbers.

At the end of the game, each player will have rolled exactly the same dice.

I don't know if this variation is too “open”, maybe a 3-dice bag instead of a “all-dice bag” is enough, anyway it's a try to bring out luck from this game.

What do you think?

• MarleysGhost at 2011-11-04

The unpredictability of the die makes StreetSoccer more like real-life sport.

• jim O at 2011-11-04

yeah, agreed, also adds tension which is great. But people, including myself continue to search for ways to eliminate the luck factor being so powerful.

What id like to see is if there was a way where you still didnt know what the die roll is going to be but you know that the chances are greater its going to be a low roll or a high roll. And the way you would know that is based on some aspect of the gameplay throughout the Match being played. Perhaps some kind of Fatigue(for the players) Factor, based on possession or having to chase the ball around, etc. I just havent come up with anything that is easy to implement, perhaps someone will one day………

• Dvd Avins at 2011-11-04

I would enjoy a variant where you had a choice: you could either roll the die and have the same options you do now, or you could pick a player ahead of time and dictate whether the die would be odd or even. I think it would increase the kind of planning one can do in low-luck games, but still leave the excitement of the die.

• jim O at 2011-11-05

hmmmn, that sounds interesting, i hadnt heard anything like that!

But 1.what happens when a coach chooses a player ahead of time and guesses right, does that mean he moves ONLY that player odd or even and 2. what happens if he guesses wrong? no movement at all? interesting

• maraca at 2011-11-05

I think the easiest solution to Dvd's approach would be, that if you've chosen odd and it's even, make die-1, and if you've chosen even and it's odd die+1.

I also had already several discussions about reducing luck in street soccer… we came up with several (20+) variants, but somehow there isn't THE solution.

Ignoring the complex ones for now, an easy approach is to reduce the die range… for example say you can throw again if you have a 1… if you want to.

• maraca at 2011-11-05

@beppi: I would like to try such a full information approach, but if it's playable like this has to be tested in practice… I don't know.

• jim O at 2011-11-06

heres another.

you have two dice.

1. You have the ball die

2. You have the players die.

A. If you roll with the ball die, you can only move the player closest to the ball. If two players are equal distance to the ball either can be moved. If the die roll is equal or exceeds the # of pips TO THE BALL, the player has to move(play) the ball. If the #of pips on the roll is less than the distance to the ball, the player closest to the ball is STILL the only player(s) that can be moved but can be moved in any direction (the # of pips of die roll).In otherwords He doesnt have to move towards the ball if he cant reach it but he is still the only player that can be moved.

B. If you roll the Players die you can move any player but you CANNOT play the ball!!….. i would really like to try this one

• MarleysGhost at 2011-11-06

One of the things that's least like real-world Soccer is that only one man at a time moves. I'd like to see something like

On a roll of 1, the coach can move each player one cell.

On a roll of 2-6, the coach can move 1-5 players two cells, and the remaining players one cell.

Not sure about the kicking. The kicking should be faster than the running. Maybe something like

A player who reaches the ball can carry it with him for the remainder of his move, then kick it three cells, and if the ball then reaches a teammate, the teammate can kick it another two cells.

• jim O at 2011-12-02

i think the pip+1 would still work good!

Moving alot of players on the same turn would slow the game quite a bit though.

Could see alot of analysis paralysis.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic