FIDE World Cup 2017 Chess forum

8 replies. Last post: 2017-09-27

Reply to this topic Return to forum

FIDE World Cup 2017
  • MisterCat ★ at 2017-09-18

So where is unique when we need him, eh?  Up to me, then.

The exciting semifinals are here, starting Tuesday, 9/19.  One semi pits Wesley So vs. Ding Liren.  The other one has Levon Aronian facing MaximeVachier-Lagrave.That's U.S. (by way of Philippines) vs. China, and Armenia vs. France.  I think it is excellent that Chess has successfully spread world wide, and that one country does not dominate any more.

Picks: really tough matches and could go any way.  As much as I would like So to succeed, I am picking Liren; these two have faced off many times, and play about even thus far.  Liren has a team with him providing him with enormously successful training and opening preparation, but So can not match that.  My pick is Liren.  Both Aronian and MvL are at the top of their games these days (see, for example, Sinquefeld Cup).  MvL has the edge in head to head games.  While Aronian is rated higher, MvL seems to have had a tougher draw to reach the semis.  (Neither Svidler or Ivanchuk are exactly pushovers, but I expected both to lose because they each seem to always collapse in high pressure situations.)  Also, Aronian might be distracted by his upcoming wedding.  I will pick Vachier-Lagrave to win this.

MvL beats Ding in the final.  I see more world class experience playing a role in this one.

(meow)

• ypercube at 2017-09-18

Translation of the cryptic date ;)

9/19: 2017, September 19th

• Paul Wiselius at 2017-09-19

Yes, will be exciting matches! Too bad Anish Giri didn't make it :-(

• Paul Wiselius at 2017-09-21

Aronian and Ding Liren play the final. It appears that to come so far, you should be a star in the rapid and blitz games…

• MisterCat ★ at 2017-09-21

OK, I did not give Aronian enough credit - despite the fact that Kasparov practically anointed him a future world champion.  He won with grim determination, and power to him.  I expected Ding Liren to go through, and he IS playing fabulous chess.  I will pick Aronian, based on what I have seen so far.  However, do not consider Ding out for the count; he has serious chances to make it through.  Aronian seems DRIVEN, has MORE world class experience, is an ACKNOWLEDGED CHESS GENIUS, and has a beautiful chess-playing fiance.  Ding has coaches.  Favor goes to Aronian.

(meow)

• unique at 2017-09-24

Stockfish 8 is currently favoring Aronian in today's battle

• Tom Ace at 2017-09-25

No matter how the finals turn out, Ding and Aronian have now both qualified for the candidates tournament to be played in March in Berlin.

• unique at 2017-09-27

21…Nef6 in the last game is one of the greatest moves ever in my opinion

Return to forum

Reply to this topic