Chess board too small Chess forum

4 replies. Last post: 2015-09-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Chess board too small
  • EmTom at 2014-10-19

Hi,

Is it possible to make chess board bigger? It is tiny in my resolution… :(

I think there was a settings area on LittleGolem, but I cannot find it anymore.

• Sighris at 2015-09-23

Hi EmTom, I do not know the answer to your question.

I have a different question, which I thought you were asking, which is: Is there a Chess game here on LittleGolem (or anywhere on the 'net) where we can play Chess on a board larger than 8x8?

I think it would be interesting to try Chess on a 10x8 or even a 10x10 board. This could be done in a number of ways. Two ways come to mind quickly: 1) add 2 pawns and 2 Knights [or 2 Bishops, or one of each, or two new pieces {Dukes? or Cardinals/Priests/Monks which are like Bishops but can only move 4 (or 5?) spaces at most)}]. 2) make the board bigger, but do not add pieces, or maybe just add two pawns , but only have 8 pieces in back row.  {or maybe on a 10x10 board add an additional row of 4 pawns in front of the King, Queen, and Bishops (in front of the main row of pawns)}.

Does this seem interesting to anybody? Has it already been done?

• Tommah at 2015-09-24

There are probably lots of those: see http://www.chessvariants.org/ .  Two that come to mind are Grand Chess (created by Christian Freeling, who plays on this site) and Capablanca's Chess.  I would love to see Grand Chess added to LG one of these days.

• vstjrt at 2015-09-24

@EmTom

I have “only” 1920 x 1080 and chess is too small in my screen too so alternative bigger chess board would be nice, for now you can just like me use “screen magnifier”.

@Sighris

You can play bigger chess variants the same way like in LG on few sites. For 8x10(or 10x8 like you want) i prefer “brainking”, other sites I know are “gamerz” (but most games here have no graphical interface), “cowplay” and “ficgs”.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic