How did I go up two levels from one Championship to the next? General forum

14 replies. Last post: 2018-03-04

Reply to this topic Return to forum

How did I go up two levels from one Championship to the next?
  • Dvd Avins at 2017-10-21

Not that I'm complaining. Chess level 2 is probably where I belong now. But last time, I was in level 4. And I didn't think that's how it works. It doesn't look like too many players dropped out, either, as there is still a well-populated Level 4. And I'm one of 10, not 9 players in my section. Is there some rule that moves one up multiple levels if one's rating is high enough, creating an extra spot in a section?

• Paul Wiselius at 2017-10-22

I had a similar experience 2 years ago. I won a  EWN level 3 group, and next I played in level 1. Maybe it has also to do with your actual rating?

• Paul Wiselius at 2017-10-22

Anyway I am testing it right now. Playing at level 4, trying to keep my rating well above 1800. See what happens next ;-)

• richyfourtytwo at 2017-10-22

I think if there are empty spots in the championship there are filled based on rating.

• David J Bush ★ at 2017-10-22

Dvd, maybe you could ask Richard in your chess game ☺

• Dvd Avins at 2017-10-22

Good idea.

Good idea.

He was also my first opponent here, way back in February, 2003.

• Dvd Avins at 2017-10-24

Richard explained that if your rating is higher than the average rating of some group above where you'd otherwise be–and if your last finish in a championship section wasn't last place– then you get placed in the higher group. I vaguely remember when he made that change, but had forgotten that it applied to levels below the top one.

• Paul Wiselius at 2017-10-24

Thanx for explaining Dvd :). Then it was a good idea for me to stop playing those 1-point EWN tournaments, they give the risc of very fluctuating ratings (maybe Richard should use a different algorithm for rating changes for 1-point EWN games?!). Now I have a chance to promote from level 4 to 2…

• Paul Wiselius at 2018-01-22

And yes! Now playing at level 2 of the championship! :-D

• Carroll at 2018-01-22

I back up another rating constant K for Ewn 1-point games, I tried not playing them any more because I don't want a random fluctuating rating.

Any math geek can propose a right constant?

In this thread: https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=140&topic=183,

YHW used K=3 and Darse K=4, saying “The B-T column is the Bradley-Terry rating with a K factor of 4 (one eighth of the value used on Little Golem). That means a player winning a game against an equally rated opponent would gain 2 points instead of 16. However, K = 4 is still too high for satisfactory stability.”

• Dvd Avins at 2018-03-03

In multi-game matches, it would make sense to vary K proportionally with the square root of the number of games.

• Hjallti ★ at 2018-03-04

It also would make sense to use the result of the game rather than w=1 for a win  w= 0 for a loss in the formula.  If I win 5-2 it would mean w=5/7 for me and w= 2/7 for the opponent.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic