playing against players who have left the site General forum

19 replies. Last post: 2018-02-12

Reply to this topic Return to forum

playing against players who have left the site
  • wccanard at 2016-07-27

My new hex13 opponent in the infinity tournament is someone who has never made a move in a hex game, who registered for this site in April and who last logged in in April, and has been consistently timing out in the infinity tournament ever since. 7 completed hex games, no moves, two in progress, no moves.

M_C_Escher hex stats here

I thought I read something here recently of the form “if players keep timing out then after a while we remove them”. Note that this guy has won 50% of their games because their opponents are timing out too! Am I mistaken about this “the system should unsubscribe inactive players from tournaments” idea? I can’t remember where I saw it...

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-07-27

I was told that the inactivity required is two rounds (or was it weeks? months?), but the system definitely seems bugged.

• William Fraser ★ at 2016-07-27

WE’ve had los of discussion hoping for such a system, but it has never been implemented....

• urmaul at 2016-07-27

But it seems to me like all players that time out all games are removed eventually. So I think either there is some reluctant or broken system, or Richard is removing players manually

• Tasmanian Devil at 2016-07-28

Another old bug that still has not been fixed is that while one is supposed to have 20 vacation days, the actual number is 21 (the counter goes down to -1).

• Hjallti at 2016-07-29

I think I posted the ‘remove from tournament when time out (with possibility to re- sign-in)’ already five times during the 14 years I play here. 

It is needed in championships (bottom groups are filled with long time left players), and infinity. I have now 111 games of which some 30 no opponent moved. (SYSTEM is one of them)

• urmaul at 2016-07-29

Ah, yeah, SYSTEM is one my favourite players.

• The_Burglar at 2016-07-29

YourTurnMyTurn has best system (not SYSTEM !!!!)

once you are entered into a tournament your name is cleared from entering the next one

another safe guard is players (at the lowest membership level) are prevented from entering tournaments if they have 15 messages (I assume only system produced one’s) undeleted

• mtbikesman at 2016-07-30

Be thankful for what you got here.  On the Twixt Live site there is no time out at all.  I have been waiting for over three years on some of my games.

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-07-30

Indeed... The message list got an overhaul recently too!

• Florian Jamain at 2016-08-01

I mean... who cares ? Just focus on games where the opponent is playing no?

• Hjallti at 2016-09-07

It looks like this tournament group: conhex.ch.3.2.1 

has only 4 out of 9 playing players. I don’t like that. 

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-09-07

It would appear to me that many of these players might be just preoccupied with other games at the moment, or perhaps forgot to un-register from the championship and are not sure about whether to play or not. Or maybe they left the site and the site has no magical way of knowing whether they are returning or not.

Either way, my advice is this: if you don’t like that, then advance to the next championship level and get more serious opponents who will more than gladly play against you. ;)

• David J Bush at 2016-09-07

That’s right! We will play against you with EXTREME FERVOR :-)

• Florian Jamain at 2016-09-07

I know what I have to do now.

• The_Burglar at 2017-12-22

best answer is a new years reset of all SYSTEM tournaments

• Maurizio De Leo ★ at 2017-12-23

To me the easiest way is to remove from the tournaments any player who has not logged-in for more than 1 month after his last vacation day.

No need to remove the account or anything, similar. I left the site from 2003 to 2012 and from 2014 to 2017, but I’m happy that my account has still all the information. Indeed if the player actually decides to come back, he will be happy that his elo rating was not squandered in his absence.

• Sighris at 2017-12-25

I agree with Maurizio De Leo at 2017-12-23 (see above). 

• VSapristi at 2018-02-12

Presently waiting for the last 2 hours before time-out in tournament LOA game against Eurogomoku 

S/he has timed out in hundreds of games in multiple tournaments.

There should be a limit to the number of TOs (5 perhaps), after which that user should be ousted from all tournament games for a “cooling off” period, a month or two perhaps.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]